Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Where is the excitement

OK...I just purchased a 2800 SCR in excellent condition for $18K...I'm excited!

But there are so many experiences and ideas to share. Here are a few of my observations for the last week of ownership.

Make sure you gas opening piston on the cabin entry lid works. I can see this lid being very hard to replace and easily broken if you try to force the door closed without opening the lid. My push rod is on order and should be installed by Thursday. I.m not having guess on board until this fixed!

Installed a map light (cigarette lighter) and while inside the fuse compartment my radio would shut off - discovered that the ground was weak because of oxidation on the connector - make sure you clean and grease (electrical) all connections.

The stern bench seat has a box intended to be used as a cooler? Well the box has zero insulation and I went through 30 lbs of ice in 5 hours - great place for a cooler full of cold drinks so I need to insulate it - any ideas?

My anchor/running light was broke - another I forgot moment - I replaced with a nice stainless steel light that is about 6 inches shorter. It clears the Bimini top by 4 inches, but I can't see it from the dock about 10 ft in front of the bow. I can see it from the bow deck great - I guess while underway and bow high the light can't be seen from the front. Am I legal?

Looking for input...

Milt P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi Milt
congrats on the new boat....first off..the engine hatch can be opened with those gas struts.....the cool thing about those struts is you can take one off and take it to an auto parts store to match it for half the cost of a marine version.....and...they work just fine......
2nd..definitely use dielectric grease on any and all connections..
3rdly....under the box ..take some cardboard and make a coffer dam under the box using duct tape and the cardboard....then from a hardware store and get some of those cans with that have the expanding foam....shoot that up until you fill the void with that expanding foam.....then once it sets up you can trim it with a hacksaw blade....

finally....the anchor light should be seen easily @ 360degs atleast 10 ft from the boat...if you can see it out at any angle...your good.....
if not..then you need to change it out for a longer anchor light...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:34 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #4

Congrats on teh new boat, I'm sure you'll love it. I also have a '97 2800. I ended up replacing both of the 12v fuse buses under the helm due to corrosion. If you're talking about the locker under the transom seat, I don't think that is a cooler. I think that is just a locker with drainage designed to minimize the amount of water that can make it's way into the engine compartment. I keep boat lines and a couple of inflatable fenders in there.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Is replacing the fuse buses hard to do? What do you like most about your 2800?