Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2021, 06:38 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default What kind of evil Contortionist designed this ladder!!

So we finally got some nice weather for a change and I got to jump off the boat and get some swimming in. Had fun...till I went to use the ladder. Holy crap!!! I damn near had to put my knee to the top of my head to get on the first rung!!! Anyone replaced their stock ladder and have a recommendation? I've seen ones that have an additional 2 or 3 rungs and they fold up under the ladder. Seems like it should fit, but I haven't really measured yet. Will need to be a Fall/Spring project as I can't replace when she is in water. 01 2400SCR

viper12161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:48 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

So, going to be replacing my current crappy ladder mentioned above in a few weeks once the weather stays nice and I can unwrap her. Looks like there are 4 bolts holding this in that go up I assume to nylon insert nuts. Where are the nuts? They look like they go up into the platform, but not really seeing where I can get access to that. Are they in the engine compartment somewhere? Thanks!

Old 02-23-2022, 08:18 PM   #3
Captain

I have the same problem on my 95 2400.
I know what you mean, I am 75 and I am thinking of replacing the ladder also.
Yes the bolts are in the swim platform, you can see them from inside the engine bay, not easy to get to.
Please post your progress with photos and manufacturer of adder you choose.
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:51 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Thanks Don! Yep, found em!!! It's days like this when I realize I made a great decision having a child 14 years ago! I will send pics as I go, but going to be a bit. Calling for 10" of snow Friday. It was 60 out today!!! WTH. I had seen a few ladders at West Marine during the summer, but never really researched them. Kinda figured it would just bolt up, but maybe not!! The one I saw slid up like ours and then the extra rung folded up underneath it. Looked pretty decent. I'll let ya know though.

Dave
Old 02-24-2022, 12:32 AM   #5
Captain

Thanks will waiting and watching.
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
Old 02-25-2022, 03:55 PM   #6
Admiral

Tie a rope ladder to the bottom rung to extend it.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:53 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Hey Don,

Just ordered this ladder from West. Based on my initial measurements, looks like this one will do the trick. Looks like the same ladder we have, with just the extra rung. Mounting looks the same, but obviously won't know until I start ripping into it. Stay tunes...you might hear me swearing from there lol

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...tick--12868675
Old 03-17-2022, 01:56 AM   #8
Captain

Thank you!
Do you know if they have a 4 step!
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
Old 03-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #9

Brunswick used Windline ladders across their models. Good Luck.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:52 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Brunswick used Windline ladders across their models. Good Luck.
Good to know!! Thanks! We'll see how this one pans out. Should be here Sunday. Looks like it will match up, but we shall see. Looks are ALWAYS deceiving when it comes to boats lol I looked up the Windline, and that bracket type where it slides on almost a track is what my old boat had. This one is just 2 small half oval brackets that the ladder slides through.
Old 03-20-2022, 05:25 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

New ladder came in today. Looks like it is going to work out perfectly!! Mounting blocks look identical to what is on there...bolt holes look to line up no problem. Here's a pic of the new ladder next to the old one. Going to add much needed length vs the old one. The only thing that I'm going to need to look into is how it holds closed in stored condition. Not sure if there is something in the package that I didn't see...but it came with just a velcro type of holder. Not a big deal at all and an easy fix. Install is way down on the list....AC and new trim tabs are priority....so going to be a bit until I can actually confirm it's all good....but I'm extremely optimistic.
Attached Thumbnails
Ladder.jpg  
Old 04-25-2022, 01:15 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Soooo....update on the new ladder. I waited a few days before posting to avoid the use of several curse words. First off...the hardware that comes with this ladder is absolute trash!! Nylon nuts are ok, but the 1/4-20 bolts are horrific. Go get better ones. Second...it looks like the mounting bracket matches up perfectly with the existing bolt holes.....noooope. The new bracket is about a 1/8" wider...and yes...it matters. I tried using the existing holes...and got it mounted without an issue. Only problem....it squeezes the ladder ever so slightly, like your belt after an all you can eat buffet...and you can't move the ladder...at all. I even tried leaving out the plastic insert from the mounting bracket. That kinda worked and ladder moves, but you can't push it all the way in, only like 3/4 of the way. You will also need a small child or an Oompa Loompa to get to the nuts in the engine compartment. Luckily I have a skinny 13 year old to help me out. Thankfully he's my son and obligated by law to help me. Anyone else would have walked off the job. Still haven't finished mounting it..I am going to use the two existing holes on the outside of each bracket, and drill new holes for the inner and try that and see how it goes. They are really close to the existing, so they are probably going to overlap a bit. But fingers crossed!!!!