Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default What Grill Are you Using?

I really like the look of those Magma grills. Does anyone have an opinion? Would be for the '96 2400 SCR. The boat will "mostly" just be Heather and I, although at times we will entertain and may have one or more of our 4 combined children with us, although 3 of them are adult age now and I don't expect us to frequently be entertaining 3 additional people on the boat.

Is there a significant advantage to the party size vs regular size magmas? I'm not just thinking about price but also how much more storage space it will consume on the boat when not in use.

TIA!

Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:02 AM   #2
Captain

I have the party size kettle and after many seasons, I would still buy again. The extra 3" diva isn't all that much bigger for storage as its a PITA to store anyway, but the extra space gives a lot of space to cook both the steaks and veggies all together. Plus there is room for additional meats IF we have company onboard.

I will admit the newer Newport or Catalina's have caught my eyes as they are more conventional rectangular grills, but for the price I'll stick with the kettle.
I also like the ability to use the kettle as a stove if I'm doing a country boil or need to use it as a stove. Much better performance than using the Origo alcohol stove down below.

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Admiral

I too have the Magma Kettle and have never had an issue. I have a spot in the bilge to store it but typically it just stay in it's mount on the stern with no issues.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Right on, thanks for the feedback. I won't even have my boat for another 2 weeks but am prepping as much as I can in advance for a May 15th cruise on it. I've seen a lot of people with the Magma's over the year and never grabbed one myself. The previous owner built a pretty cool mount for a magma so I think I'll go ahead and order this guy in advance so that I'm set up.

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Kettle...SZ8?th=1&psc=1
Old 04-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

How do you guys store the propane safely on the boat?
Old 04-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
Admiral

The little green bottles can be stored pretty much anywhere. They are safe. I keep mine in the stern locker.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

awesome thank you
Old 04-25-2020, 11:45 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

I would recommend picking up a cover for it as well. I found one in green that matches all my other canvas. I will say the Magma's cook very hot. I found cutting a grilling mat to fit the round grill helps temper and regulate the heat. I never take mine off the mount until the season is over. I keep 2-3 bottles on-board all the time.
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

that's a good idea. I've never used a grilling mat before but I imagine it would help a little like the smoke stone on my egg.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #10

I'm on my 3rd Magma grill. The previous two were the large kettle style. My current is the rectangular style. The rectangular are easier to clean, service and replace parts.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:20 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

That's good feedback. I went ahead and ordered the Magma Kettle 3 yesterday with the igniter on it. I did look at the larger ones and may upgrade to that later but for now I knew that this one would be comfortable to mount...