Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Water tank leak 2008 Maxum 2900SE

Can anyone tell me where the fresh water tank is on a 2008 2900SE Maxum? The 2009 I believe is the same boat
It is leaking into the forward bilge

OHDEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #2

The freshwater tanks in the 2800, 3000, and 3300 are all in the engine compartment. Is the boat in Freshwater or saltwater? The easiest way to determine it's location is to start with the deckplate. Follow the fill hose from the deckplate. It will dump into the top of the tank.

Otherwise, you'd need to locate the pressure water pump and follow it back to the bottom of the water tank.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:43 AM   #3
Lieutenant

I recently repaired a leak on my but that was in a 2002 3300. I have not looked over the later years models but hopefully your repair will be easier with the tank not under galley floor like mine. I write some steps and materials used. If doing, hopefully you can post a few pics too. Best of luck.
(No Gen, no A/C)
Skip R Maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
The freshwater tanks in the 2800, 3000, and 3300 are all in the engine compartment. Is the boat in Freshwater or saltwater? The easiest way to determine it's location is to start with the deckplate. Follow the fill hose from the deckplate. It will dump into the top of the tank.

Otherwise, you'd need to locate the pressure water pump and follow it back to the bottom of the water tank.
Thank you
It was in fresh for 5 yeas now in salt

I was trying to find some scematics but the newer design 2008 and 8 does not match what's on line

It is hard piped and I can see the pumpout tank but not the fresh water one
Old 08-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip R Maxum View Post
I recently repaired a leak on my but that was in a 2002 3300. I have not looked over the later years models but hopefully your repair will be easier with the tank not under galley floor like mine. I write some steps and materials used. If doing, hopefully you can post a few pics too. Best of luck.
Thanks Hope it's not under the galley floor like yours but strange that it leaks into the forward bilge even when not under pressure if located in the engine compartment it should be visible fresh water in there
Old 08-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
Admiral

It may be behind an access panel in the midberth, I have seen this on other boats.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #7
Lieutenant

The owners manual supplement pdf at
http://www.maxumboatparts.com/manuals/1902609.pdf
shows it as mid-cabin on page 51 (page 57 in adobe).

looks like the pump is forward of that. I'd turn on the pump and verify the sound comes form there. I'd imagine too that through some of the cabinets, you may be able to verify the fill tube run as it seems to run from port to mid cabin. Seems too that maybe there is access to the sump pump / water pump area. I just have not seen this setup in person or in photos.
(No Gen, no A/C)
Old 08-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
Ensign

Default Water tank leak

That manual is like gold to me. Thanks!!!
I thought that pump under the mattress was the forward sump
If the tank is below the aft birth it would explain why it is filling up forward of the engine bulkhead
Looks like a big job
Appreciate all the help
Old 08-05-2015, 05:42 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Yep no worries... look documenting all opinions and tackling strategies help everyone ... old, new. and future folks
(No Gen, no A/C)
Old 08-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #10
Ensign

Good to have a forum for a boat without a parent company since Brunswick was of no help and the local Bsyliner dealer disposed of all thier Maxum documents years ago
Old 08-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #11
Ensign

UPDATE ON WATER TANK LEAK
So I was able to locate the water tank and plumbing thanks to Skip R Maxum. It is located under the rear bunk as shown between two stringers. I did not see the two access panels due to a carpet placed over the entire floor. Once removed, there was a thin felt cloth covering the plywood and two hatches that fit into the floor. One for the overflow drain and one for the plumbing.

The tank has an epoxy embedded pressure fitting with a pressure T. That connects to the pressure pump. It was the T that was leaking and not the tank thank goodness. It was a tight space to work in but an easy fix with identical replacement parts (which my marine store had to order)

One thing to note is that the T has a pressure plug on one end that can e removed and allows you to drain the tank into the bilge area for winterizing or sanitary clean-out. Helpful!

Thanks everyone for the support.
H.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:22 AM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHDEL II View Post
UPDATE ON WATER TANK LEAK
So I was able to locate the water tank and plumbing thanks to Skip R Maxum. It is located under the rear bunk as shown between two stringers. I did not see the two access panels due to a carpet placed over the entire floor. Once removed, there was a thin felt cloth covering the plywood and two hatches that fit into the floor. One for the overflow drain and one for the plumbing.

The tank has an epoxy embedded pressure fitting with a pressure T. That connects to the pressure pump. It was the T that was leaking and not the tank thank goodness. It was a tight space to work in but an easy fix with identical replacement parts (which my marine store had to order)

One thing to note is that the T has a pressure plug on one end that can e removed and allows you to drain the tank into the bilge area for winterizing or sanitary clean-out. Helpful!

Thanks everyone for the support.
H.
Did you take any pictures? If so post them so other with this model can refer to them as required.

Thanks

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #13
Ensign

Default Maxum 2900 Se Pics Water tank plumbing

I have a few pics of the pressure pump, T that was leaking and the fitting into the tank. Will try to attach here.

If anyone owning a 2008 or 2009 Maxum 2900SE needs more info, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
tank.jpg   pump.jpg   pump model.jpg   T .jpg   fitting.png  

flowjet.jpg