Old 10-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Water leaking into engine room/aft cabin - 2800 SCR

I went into the back berth/aft cabin to pull out items in the storage cabinets on both sides of the boat/bed and the mattress was wet, the items in the cabinets were wet and when I pulled out the mattress there was a lot of water soaking into the rug. It appears that this has happened before, most likely with previous owner. I had to get a wet vac to get most of it up. Cannot figure out where it is coming from. The wall with the window looking out to the deck was dry, I pulled up the 4 panels on the floor and the hull was dry. Water is getting in somehow. Went into the engine compartment and there was about 4" water on the port side in a section that was like a tub with no drain. I assume that the water seeped into the wall adjoining the aft cabin through the hoses/caulking running on the port side of the boat. Same on the right side. We drilled a hole on both sides so any trapped water would go into the bilge and it did release a lot of water. We noticed that there is an opening on the sides of the boat where the Maxum name is. Could water come in from that opening? Mystery needing resolution before 2011 boating season. Sorry for the wordiness of this thread!

Debbie Bakalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Admiral

debbie
no need to appologize for the wordiness of your post....helps to figure out what is going on..
water intrusion into the batcave ..believe it or not...is common.....I had it with my 24...I know a bunch of people coming to me with the same problem....
around the boat is an item meant to hide the top and bottom halves seams...it's called the rubrail...the rubber insert needs to be warmed up with a hairdryer or a heat gun..then carefully pryed out of the track....starting about where the head is on both sides...you can pry it all the way back to the intakes at the engine bay...here's the fun part...in the batcave there are access panels above your head..pull those....on the outside in the tracks, there are screws that hold the inside trim panels that hide the seams...have someone inside to catch it as you pull those screws out...
using marine grade clear silicone sealant..apply a coat to all screws...all revits and holes....along the inside of the track and along both the bottom and top of the track......
then using a rubber mallet....carefully tap the rubber insert back into the track...you may have to heat it some ...but working the mallet and insert back into the track..you'll never know it was out....you basically have to inch your way back and forth until all the rubber insert is back in....

that's about all there is too it......it's time consuming but this usually works....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks Seapuppy, it does makes sense. My survey mentioned that the rub rails may need to be checked and we couldn't figure out where else the water could be coming from. So....I guess I have my spring project cut out for me. I am glad to hear that other boat owners have experienced the same thing and I am not alone with this issue! As always, I appreciate your help! Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Sea Puppy, I am pretty sure I have this issue on my 1990 2700 SCR. Would this typically leak from rain? I have been meaning to test too see if the rub rail is the source but I have not gotten around to it. Theleaking is just on the side panels in the bat cave and I notice occasional water in the storage under the dinette seating.

How long does it take to do this job?
ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Admiral

yep...seems that's where the boat seems to flex the most or the assemblers run out of glue at that point....I can't seem to figure it out.....but all the same things seem to leak right about at the batcave....
rain seems to show up more than trying to blow water on it with a hose..I guess rain goes where it wants too....but mine showed up after a big rain...always...once I did this...never had another issue with water...
the job length depends on a lot of things...how you attack it....local temps...I'd give it a good day of working it thru to finish to do it right.......but it's definitely a do-it-yersefer type job....just take your time and make sure you do a neat job on the top and bottom of the track....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 11-03-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
Lt. JG

It seems that the water leak is not isolated to the bat cave but also under the dining table along the wall. I was taking everything off the boat tonight since it is being hauled tomorrow and the towels under the table were very damp, and the carpet wet to the touch. I am hoping the rub rail is the culprit!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
Admiral

it could also be the bow rails....you may need to pull the rails off at the base and rebed them....it's going to take some checking and investigating...chances are it's the rub rail...

you need to get the water out and vacuum that out..then make sure some sort of heater on it to make sure mold doesn't get a good hold on it..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #8

You also might want to check the radar arch. I have a good bit of water coming in through there. I still can't figure out how it's getting in, but when it rains, it drips out of the lights in the arch. It runs down the hollow arch, then through the chase where the arch attaches to the gunnel. It then runs directly into the locker in the bat cave. I also have some handrail stanchions and rub rail issues. Not fun when you're given the choice between the dirty wet clothes you're wearing or the clean wet clothes from the locker.

The Admiral and I often jokingly say: 'Boating is the excercise of being perpetually wet'.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
Admiral

Shrew
with yours it coming in thru either the anchor light or if you have a gps antenna, thru the bottom of that...or...like mine..I had to seal joint where the radar arch attaches to the hull top deck gunwhale....a bead of 4200 around those will stop the flooding..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 11-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Thanks Shrew. I had a new gps installed when I bought the boat in July and I'll check the anchor light as well. Appreciate your reply!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
Lt. JG

Seapuppy, the boat is out of the water now. I bought several containers of damp rid to put throughout the boat this weekend before it is shrink wrapped. I was thinking of pulling out the aft mattress and bringing it home for the winter to avoid any mold. D.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
Admiral

Good idea....definitely get that dried out and it won't be moldy smelling later...

Sp
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 06-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #13
Lt. JG

I hope everyone has their boats in the water and ready to enjoy the summer! I wanted to post an update on the water leak thread I posted last summer. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and per Sea Puppy had the rub rails removed, recaulked, and some of the screws replaced. I do not want to jinx myself but this seems to have eliminated the water problem!! We have had some serious rains and heavy winds this spring and I have not seen any signs of water. So thank you all, and hopefully the water will not reappear! Have a safe and enjoyable boating season!! Debbie
Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 AM   #14
Admiral

Cool debbie.....post some pic's of you and your boat...hope you have a great summer!!!

SP

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang