Old 10-27-2015, 01:51 AM   #1
Ensign

Question Water drain lines

Maxum 2500scr year 2003.

Problem: Water build up in my hidden trash hold located in forward cabin. Unknown where the water is comming from or why it will not drain out.

I have tried to run a snake through to clear the block but the snake line only continues to travel but I cannot tell where it exists.

Can anyone tell me if they have a recommended fix to determine where the water may be comming from and why it is not draining.

tks in advance

Rsaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
Admiral

How much water and over what period of time? If I recall these were under one of the steps going into the cabin. Other than potential rain water entering around the hatch not sure what other water sources are in the area. Shower or A/C pump?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
Ensign

Default Water in trash can hold located in fron cabin

Location of the hidden hold is just above the landing in the forward cabin. It were you put the small trash can. Water builds up to about 25% of the hold. I am trying to figure out how to clear the drain and understand where the water drain line runs.

tks Rhs
Old 10-28-2015, 12:59 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Water from this section should drain down into the forward bilge area which you can access it through small panel right below the steps leading to the cabin.
forbes210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:40 AM   #5
Ensign

Tks I also thought so but when I ran a snake through the hole it does not come out at that location. Do you happen to know where I could find how the lines are connected in some graphic so I can trace the issue? Not sure if the lines if any have broken or some other obstruction causing it not to drain when water is present.

Secondly, how the water got into the hold in the first place is still a mystery.

tks for the help
rhs
Old 10-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #6

Where is your Air Conditioning located? The A/C should have a condensation pan under it. There should be a drain hose in the condensation pan. Many models drained the A/C condensation into the bilge. The amount of water you're describing sounds like more than rubrail, stanchion, hatch, or cleat leak.

I doubt you have any pressure water (e.g. hot/cold) running that far forward. Typically water is only going to come from a few places:

Rain/spray: hatches, stanchion bases, cleats, rubrail leaks

Sea: broken through hull fittings, intake hoses, engine cooling leaks, bellows/transom assembly. (Engine, bellows, transom assembly would all be in the engine bilge).

pressure water (hot/cold) leaks, A/C condensation leaks.

As for the drain....maybe a picture would be helpful. When you snake the locker drain, does it stop dead or can you keep feeding it. You've stated you don't know where it goes. I would not be nearly as concerned with where it goes and whether it is blocked. I assume it is going to go into the bilge itself.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Ensign

Thanks for your response.
Reference the AC unit. I rarely use it and did not turn it on this year.
Reference the under floor compartment where the small trash can fits located in the front cabin area just after the step up into the forward cabin area. Sorry no pictures since my boat is shrink rapped.
When I did run a snake thorugh the whole it just appeared as though it collected in an empty space under the floor. I ran at least 20 feet of line and did not see it exit anywhere to include the hold space next to the stairs where the toilet shut off valve is located.
Do you know if the drains are connected with some type of PVC pipe or does it just have a drain whole cut into it in each of teh seperate compartments?
Old 11-01-2015, 01:32 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

got the same boat and was able to take some pictures today. From the bilge section where the garbage can is located water should drain through the small hole on the very bottom into next section under your kitchen floor (you can't access this section) and then from there it should drain to forward bilge where the pump is located (see pictures). I took the picture of the area where the pump is located and marked the hole with the piece of tape. The hole should be located below the tape at the very bottom. Maybe from some reason one of those holes got clogged.
Click image for larger version

Name:	bilge 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	4450

Click image for larger version

Name:	bilge 2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	4451
Old 11-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #9
Ensign

forbes210 tks so much great detail.
Sounds like a logical place but hidden out of sight. I will run the snake from that hole back and see if it unclogs.

Now, I have to find out why water is getting into that hold. Maybe a loose fitting where the water is pumped up from the pet cock to flush the toilet. Do you experience the same water issues?

TKs so much for the insight.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Used to had a small crack in the hull and the water was getting below the kitchen floor which made me to investigate this area. Most likely you don't have this issue but when I was looking back then I also found that I was getting water in this section from the anchor compartment. I resealed anchor compartment and made sure that the small drain discharging water to the outside of the hull is not obstructed.