Old 08-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Trim tab use?

I have a 2003 2900 SCR, and seem to have trouble getting up on plane with more than a couple people on board. Mercruiser 320 with Bravo 2 props. Can someone give me a tutorial on how to start off with the trim tabs? Up or down? WOT takes a while to get the revolutions up, Boat seems to lag. Hull has been recently power washed, and that has helped some. Thanks

Copacetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Is this a single engine boat Copa? If yes, that is a LOT of boat for a single engine - might just be the nature of the beast.

In short, start with the tabs completely down, and the drive completely down as well.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I have a 2900 SCR with a single 7.4L (310HP) and Bravo III. It’s not a ski boat so it does take some time to get on the plane. Longer with a full gas tank, full water tank and you can also take into account the waste tank. I think that's another 25 gallons or so at around 8lbs a gallon. Then you add people sitting in the back and it can take longer. Since I don’t stay on the boat for more than an overnight, I only fill the fresh water tank about a 1/4 to a 1/3 and I pump the waste out regularly.

I always start out nice and slow with trim tabs down and add gradual power. At about 3600RPM (15mph +/-) it starts to plane out and I can either let it continue to go all the way to WOT (even though the throttle does not need to be all the way forward) or pull back on the throttle. If I pull back at lower speed, I adjust the tabs bit by bit until I find a sweet spot or if I'm heading to WOT, I just trim the tabs all the way up and only adjust the trim to keep the boat level.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
Admiral

weight and hull cleanliness can affect the boat's performance...if your hull has any kind of green matter on it..it will reduce the performance pretty significantly...with that said..lets assume you hull is clean...

when I had my 2700scr with 6.2ltr b3 drive...loaded with water, gear,food, people..it would fight to get up on plane..so...the easiest way for me to do that was to put the drive all the way down...tabs down about 50%( I know..you can't see it but guess is good)...then I'd hit the throttle and off we'd go...as the boat comes up on plane...I'd lift the trim tabs up to even the boat out and to get the bow up some...enough to stop the porposing...then I'd bump the drive up until it would take off and free up...adjust throttle to best cruise speed...and it should be ok...
I've had as many as 5 people..2 dogs..food for 5...gear...and we still had a great time...also remember that tide direction will affect a heavily loaded boat..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Captain

hai copa....

if your out with a few people again...let them go inside to the front of the boat, and you will see how quick it will get in plane......so trim tabs totally down and as much as weight in the front as long you ar not in plane will helps and saves fuel........

greatz,ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote