Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Shower drain 99 scr 3000

Been looking around, currently every week since shes been on the water she has a bit of water that backs up throw the shower drain.

The toilet was fixed before we purchased and I'm curious if anything there could be the issue or if its common to have water back up.

I'll snap some pictures and post soon. The red pump switch turns on and drains it out but water comes back in shortly thereafter.

MaximusBoatimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #2
Admiral

Shower and toilet have nothing in common.

Are you running the AC? If so the condensate line may be routed to the shower sump and filling it? If you leave the red switch on does the sump drain? There should be a float in the sump to turn the pump on and off as it fills but the red switch must be on.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
Captain

No sumps in the 3000.. The drain is directly plumbed to the discharge pump.
It could be just the back flow from the water remaining in the line once the pump is off and works its way back past the pump.

Crappy design to begin with and it places the pump (similar type as the fresh water) down low in the bilge.
I've replaced the whole thing with a custom sump box with a standard bilge pump. It cycles frequently during a shower due to how small the box has to be to fit the space, but it does the job and any backflow just stays in the sump.

John
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Lieutenant

My pump just went out on the shower, does anyone know what the pump is specifically or can I just exchange it with any 12v marine pump??
jeffronin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
No sumps in the 3000.. The drain is directly plumbed to the discharge pump.
It could be just the back flow from the water remaining in the line once the pump is off and works its way back past the pump.

Crappy design to begin with and it places the pump (similar type as the fresh water) down low in the bilge.
I've replaced the whole thing with a custom sump box with a standard bilge pump. It cycles frequently during a shower due to how small the box has to be to fit the space, but it does the job and any backflow just stays in the sump.

John

Absolutely a crappy design, like you said backflow. I cleaned the screen and it worked like a charm. Since no backflow.
MaximusBoatimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Cant you just put in a backflow preventer/check valve and it would stop the back flow problem?
jeffronin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
Ensign

I have an issue with my 1998 3000 SCR shower drain pump. It doesn’t seem to turn on when theres water in the drain. The shower pump is on and will pump water but the drain backs up. I’ve cleaned the strainer but the pump never fires. I’ve checked all fuses and looked underneath for an in-line fuse. Any advice?
Bbrzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbrzinski View Post
I have an issue with my 1998 3000 SCR shower drain pump. It doesn’t seem to turn on when theres water in the drain. The shower pump is on and will pump water but the drain backs up. I’ve cleaned the strainer but the pump never fires. I’ve checked all fuses and looked underneath for an in-line fuse. Any advice?
I would start by verify power is at the pump when the switch is on. Then power is getting to the switch. Fuse should be at the helm, maybe in an access panel under it.

Mike
Old 08-19-2018, 12:39 AM   #9
Ensign

By switch are you referring to the shower pump? Isn’t that for the water feed? Because I’m getting water from the faucet.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:00 AM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbrzinski View Post
By switch are you referring to the shower pump? Isn’t that for the water feed? Because I’m getting water from the faucet.
No, the shower sump pump switch should be in the head. The switch at the galley only runs the water pump for the faucets.

Mike
Old 08-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #11
Ensign

Thanks, only had the boat for about 3 weeks. Documentation is hard to come by and there’s been several modifications under the breaker panel that are making it difficult to solve simple issues. Your advice is much appreciated!
Old 08-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
Captain

+1 The shower pump is not self activated, no float switch etc, it must be turned on manually via the red switch in the head.
Check for power at the pump as Mike suggests. If there is power, the pump may have frozen up.

John
Old 08-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
+1 The shower pump is not self activated, no float switch etc, it must be turned on manually via the red switch in the head.
Check for power at the pump as Mike suggests. If there is power, the pump may have frozen up.
It depends on the setup. If the drain is plumbed through a pump pre-filter then directly to the 12v pump, then yes....the pump will only actuate if you turn on the pump switch (usually a lit red switch) in the head.

If the drain is plumbed to a sump box, then there is a float switch and a bilge pump inside of the sump box. AT that point, I would be checking the float and the pump in the sump box.

It really depends on how your system was setup.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
Captain

OEM setup on the 3000's was drain-filter-pump. No sump..