Old 07-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRich View Post
Shrew,

I know I'll have to re-address the screws from the outside, but I'm hoping to get the interior workable before I remove the rubber insert to the rub rail.

When you say "the rub rail should come off", I assume you mean to only remove the rubber bumper, not the entire rub-rail frame. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

On the panels where you used the Velcro to re-install the panels, how did it work over time?

On removing and properly filling the holes for the upholstry panels, I'm not sure if they screwed these in before or after they atached the rub rail. If they screwed them before the rub rail, then the entire rub rail will need to come off to get to the them. If they screwed through the rub rail, as they did to install the rub rail itself, then only the cap would need to come off. I'm not sure, since i did what you're describing and caulked from the inside. However, I knew it was a temp. fix and I would be removing and recaulking the entire rub rail in the near future anyway.

I used the 3M aggressive plastic 'velcro'. It works just fine. It doesn't hold it quite as snugly against the deck and hull, but it is very, very hard to tell. It has never fallen off, even in rough seas.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #22
Lt. Commander

bkgoodman,

Thanks for your note and the link to your thread. Luckily my rub rail is in good shape (so far), so I won't have the bending (re-bending?) issue.

I also notice you're in Nashua, where do you boat? I'm on lake Winnipesaukee, stop by if you're ever up there!

Shew, thanks for the advice, wow I hope those screws aren't under the rub rail frame! I would hate to have to take the whole frame off and re-install it. I think I'll try the cutt off method and then re-seal from the outside at a different time.

Rich
ImRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #23
Lieutenant

Quote:
bkgoodman,
I also notice you're in Nashua, where do you boat? I'm on lake Winnipesaukee, stop by if you're ever up there!
I boat down in Boston Harbor! (No public islands to camp and explore on LakeWinni! )

If you have an iPad or iPhone, check out my LakeWinni nav app, though! http://www.bradgoodman.com/LakeWinni/
bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #24
Lt. Commander

I'd love to, but I'm an Android guy!

My dad used to have an Egg Harbor out of Gloucester when I was a teenager. That's how I got the boat bug.

After all these years, I finally got one!

Are you thinking of porting your App to Android? It would make a good backup to my Garmin w/Bizer chip.

Rich
ImRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #25
Captain

if you want to see how your rub rail is screwed into your boat, just open the windlass hatch and you can see the screws, the hull seam, and the bolts that hold on the bow rails.....

just look up...
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
Lieutenant

Quote:
Are you thinking of porting your App to Android? It would make a good backup to my Garmin w/Bizer chip.
Was going to - started on it - but don't have the time!

bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote