Old 09-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Replacing interior carpeting / fabric

I have a boat I just pulled out of storage.

It always had this distinct, unidentifiable, "boat" smell on the interior. It's not mold - don't really know what it is.

It still has the same smell, and there is a little bit of traces of mold in some places. I am going to try to thoroughly steam-clean the carpets, and I have already removed (and am replacing) all the seating and bedding uphostry and cushons.

As I believe I have already tried the whole steam cleaning thing - I would assume my only other option is to remove and replace the interior carpeting. (Including the stuff on the walls and ceiling).

Does anyone have experience doing this? Is it just a matter of "cutting and gluing" - or is there more to it? What do you do with the edges? Any pointers on what type of materials to buy or where to buy them?

Or of course - if you have any ideas other than replacing the carpeting, I'd love to hear them! ;-)

Thanks,

-BKG

bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
Admiral

BKG
I've seen people do just that...replace all the carpets in the salon....to answer one question..use 3m interior glue....that's what maxum uses to install it in the first place...removing it is a bear...pulling and using a putty knife is the way to do it......then sand the surfaces to get the old glue off.....

it's a messy job but worth it in the end...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Any idea what kind of carpet to replace it with?

What about the "thinner" material that covers the ceiling?

What do I do with the edges. Are they bound? Tucked?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgoodman View Post
Any idea what kind of carpet to replace it with?
from what I've seen the sole of the deck can be that teak or carpet..some guys have replaced it with that fake teak..really looks nice...I've also seen guys replace it with hard wood flooring....also nice touch...I don't do wood well...so if it were me..I'd replace it with carpert...what kind ??...a closed loop type carpet that is easy to move around ...a stiff carpet is going to really be tough to manhandle...but they look better than the thinner stuff...

What about the "thinner" material that covers the ceiling?the monkey fur is always an irritant too me..always has been...I was glad to see them move away from the monkey fur in the later models...so..again..what I'fe seen done is use vinyl simulated leather over core board...the board is about 1/8th in thick and easily cut tp shape..then they glue the material to the core board and then screw it to the overhead...how to attach it is the tricky part...use construction glue to glue strips of wood to the overhead so you have something for the screws to attach too..
What do I do with the edges. Are they bound? Tucked?if your going to use monkey fur again..it's tucked at the edges...
hope this helps....my overhead on the 340 is that fau leather type stuff attached to a core board..that's how I know about it...to make them more pillowy..they add some batting between the material and core board......

oh yeah..construct the core board in sections...that way it's easier to handle than a one piece unit...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
what kind ??...a closed loop type carpet that is easy to move around
Indoor/Outdoor? Any particular thickness? Just the kind I'd by at Home Depot, or anything special?

I do like the idea of the venal simulated leather overhead. Seems like it would be easier to clean, and be less prone to moisture, mold, mildew and odors.

So - as for the removal. How difficult is it? My BIGGEST fear is getting 1/2 way through the removal, and finding out the job is too difficult to accomplish - having just destroyed my boat in the process! :-O

Maybe I will start with the aft-cabin floor, which already had some mold, and probably needs the replacement more than anything. (It's also the least visible spot, because it's pretty much covered by a mattress).

Thanks for the advise!

-BKG

Click image for larger version

Name:	HellfishPhoto.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1589
Old 09-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Admiral

I wouldn't go with an indoor/outdoor....just get a nice plush carpet that is stain and mold resistant...that should do it...

I wouldn't lie about it...it's a tough job...but with some elbow grease and all..but it's doable...persistance pays off and attention to detail is key..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Commander

This unidentifiable boat smell........ can you elaborate more please? The reason I ask, is because I have the same issue in the cave of my 2001 2500 SCR. It is almost like an exhausty, engine-type smell of some sort. Its NOT exactly like exhaust, but that is the only way I can think about describing it. It is NOT a moldy musty smell by any means. Is this similar to what you are smelling?
If anybody else knows what I am talkin about, please chime in. I'd love to know the culpret of this smell.

RIch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgoodman View Post
I have a boat I just pulled out of storage.

It always had this distinct, unidentifiable, "boat" smell on the interior. It's not mold - don't really know what it is.

It still has the same smell, and there is a little bit of traces of mold in some places. I am going to try to thoroughly steam-clean the carpets, and I have already removed (and am replacing) all the seating and bedding uphostry and cushons.

As I believe I have already tried the whole steam cleaning thing - I would assume my only other option is to remove and replace the interior carpeting. (Including the stuff on the walls and ceiling).

Does anyone have experience doing this? Is it just a matter of "cutting and gluing" - or is there more to it? What do you do with the edges? Any pointers on what type of materials to buy or where to buy them?

Or of course - if you have any ideas other than replacing the carpeting, I'd love to hear them! ;-)

Thanks,

-BKG
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenwell8962 View Post
This unidentifiable boat smell........ can you elaborate more please?
Lol... I was just thinking last night: "Here's one that I can't do on the web - have someone identify the smell!"

I don't know how to describe it. At once I had a theory that it could have been a scent from the junk in the bilge. My theory was - there are drainage holes in the bilge to let water flow from front to back. One of these holes seems to go out of the bilge, underneath the fuel tank. I don't know where the passage goes from here. Does it go along the ENTIRE hull? (Allowing water on the bottom of the cabin - even by the V-Birth to flow back to the bilge?) If so - would that also allow bilge water, (fumes smell) to work it's way up to the cabin. However, it normally wouldn't happen because it would have to run "uphill" to the front of the boat. But could that passage just be enough to let bad smells up? Or even bilge water - if the boat was sitting on land, and blocked at a funny (bow-down) angle?

Any insight on this would be good to know!

Another theory I had was it was glue. Either the glue use to hold down the carpets, or on the undersides of the inside seats to adhere to adhere this plasticy stuff to the wooden part.

I agree - it's *not* mold - and its not musty. Just don't know what it is!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Admiral

you might be smelling the resins from the fiberglass...it stays with the boat it seems for the lifetime....yes there are limber holes along ctr of the keel to allow water to flow from fwd to aft .....without being there it's tough to say what kind of smell your having ..could be the hose from the head to the tank...that becomes permiated and smells to high heaven...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Commander

SP:
Its not the waste hose. I think I would be able to identify that smell. Or am I wrong? I assume I would be smelling the sewage smell and not this smell which smells a bit like motor/exhaust/whoknowswhat.
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Admiral

Rich..
that smell permiates just about everything.....it's not a raw sewage smell it's just a disgusting smell.......

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenwell8962 View Post
Its not the waste hose. I think I would be able to identify that smell. Or am I wrong? I assume I would be smelling the sewage smell and not this smell which smells a bit like motor/exhaust/whoknowswhat.
I concur. The resins in the fiberglass - or some sort of adhesive is more likely the culprit. It's not a particularly objectionable smell - it's just very very odd. In the 14 years I've had the boat - and 10 years in storage. It never changes.

I did pull all the cushions out of the boat, replaced the cushions and thoroughly washed the covering fabric. The smell definitely stays with the boat.

I am having a professional steam-cleaning truck come and go at the interior of the boat. That'll get any mold or mildew for the most part. If the smell is actually in the fiberglass, maybe it'll deal with any part of it which has leeched into the carpets - but even if I replace them all, it'll never get it out!

-BKG