Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Removing Radar Arch? 3000SCR

Anyone ever do it? I am trying to get my motors out before snow fall so I can clean up the bay over winter and put the new motors in come spring but I just have a bad feeling about the way I am going to lift the motors, looking at the Arch I only see the screws that go on the side? What holds these on? has anyone ever removed one?

OceanStateTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Captain

rear swept arch, means swing engine out over the front seat and out.

once the engine is stripped down, it should go right thru, dismantling the arch seams like more things to get broken.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascavone View Post
rear swept arch, means swing engine out over the front seat and out.

once the engine is stripped down, it should go right thru, dismantling the arch seams like more things to get broken.
Yeah that's the only way I can somewhat safely see them coming out, problem is I really want to have the motors complete when they go in and hate to disassemble good engines but they are much bigger and heavier then the ones coming out. I would like to use a fork lift but would not be able to go foward. I bought a trailer to make this a little easier, only thing I can think is build a A frame, lift engine and back the trailer up with the engine hoisted up but these engines just sit so far under the rear deck that it does not leave much room for error. I would think pulling the Arch off (I only see a couple screws?) would make it much easier and allow for either the fork lift with extensions or a boom truck much easier. Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Captain

I had my single 7.4 pulled for an engine coupler job, and the yard pulled it with the boat fork lift thru the front of the arch.

The trick is to set the fork truck up as a lift point and use a come-a-long or electrical winch to fine tune the accent thru the cock pit.

if your chains are tight and short, you could get it out from under the arch and thru the back.

The engine will never go in with manifolds and other pulleys on them, then they have to be shifted backward to the rear of the boat.

in fact your might have to lower it sideways and then spin it, then first one will be easy, but the second engine.... yikes!
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Thanks for the tip, I got twin 8.1's going in, replacing my twin 4.3's, Manifolds will come off then, I just don't want to have to strip the harness and everything off them and have to deal with trying to get everything back on in the back of that bay, I'm only so flexible lol.
You have a 3000SCR also? Once they had the engine lowered in, what did they use to slide the engine back? I got a few ideas but doesnt look like the chain fall could support anything other then the front of engine/accessories as a lift point in the installed position.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #6

Agreed. I have an aft sweeping arch and I didn't need to pull it to repower. There should be 4 bolts inside each side of the arch. You'll need to remove internal panels to get to the underside of the them, if you did want to remove the arch. As stated, this would be a PITA. You'll bring the cable in in front of the arch. You'll probably need to walk to the engine forward a bit. I had to remove the manifold and riser on one side and spin the engine sideways to get it out. Then up a little and forward a little over the seats and out it came. Same in reverse to install.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote