Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Removing an access cover

Trying to work out the last parts of a Radar install. It seems I need to run a power wire from the engine compartment in the stern of a 2600SE to the helm a few feet forward. I want to run the wire inside of the starboard wall, so the problem is access. On the starboard side, there are two places I can potentially get access to inside. By the helm seat there is a recessed panel for the fire extinguisher, and back further there is a larger recessed panel underneath the sink for a cooler (see attached pic).

I've removed the screws on the panel in the pic and tried to pull it out using the stainless steel attachments on either side, but it doesn't seem to want to budge. Didn't want to pull to hard and break anything, so I thought I'd look for help here. Help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	panelcover.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1060

iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
Admiral

that's held in with screws and either double sticky sided tape or 4200 glue......to remove the shell...either use some sort of putty knife or a fishing line tied to 2 dowels and saw the line back and forth thru the glue....

other than that...I got nuthin...can you go up thru the engine bay on the sidewalls???

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Hey Ice, My 2600SE has a panel down below in the aft berth along the starboard side. Down where your feet would go when sleeping. It is held in by velcro. There are a couple of ground and power busses behind it and this is the raceway that all cabling from front to back travels, along with the hose from the head to the holding tank. It is pretty big, a lot of access. You might even be able to get your power from there. I would take a picture for you, but mine is stored away for the winter. Hope that helps.
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

SP: I may be able to get to the big one from the engine bay but not the fire extinguisher. I do think there is 4200 or something in the seam, it looks like caulk, so I guess it would have to be cut somehow as you suggest.

Cap: that's a great tip, I'll check that panel out. I'm also thinking of installing an electronic compass like the KVH autocomp 1000 so that might be a good place to locate it.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Lieutenant

I could easily get to the back of the fire extinguisher compartment from below. I used machine screws to mount the fire extinguisher bracket with nyloc nuts on the back side. There was plenty of room to get behind there to put the nuts on.
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Cap: Thanks, that's good to know. Sounds like I'll be able to get this all wrapped up ths weekend.