Old 10-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Random

Anyone else every have any engine issues when trying to just start her up?

I just replaced the fuel pump on my 3000scr, stb motor. Port starts up after rocking the throttle back and forth a couple of times. I had my stb motor running 2 days ago after changing the fuel pump. Unfortunately today went down and just wanted to make sure it was all good. 20 minutes later rocking back and forth, sweating I'm gonna be honest. I really wanna put her out to pasture.

Just curious if any other have issues with 5.0 merc 2bbl. Really really irritating when you just wanna enjoy your boat.

Also I didn't take her out much this year so I'm sure I'm to blame but I would atleast go down and run the engines weekly to make sure her blood was flowing.

Best,

MaximusBoatimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
Admiral

Does it start and then die or just crank over and never fire? Have you checked for spark?

May be time to rebuild the carbs...

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
Admiral

Now that you replaced the electric fuel pump what are the symptoms? Did you see if the choke is closing and fuel squirting in the carb when you pump the throttle? Do you have two fuel tanks? If so did you examine the fuel for water, debris or phase separation?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Lt. JG

The engine started after replacing the fuel pump and ran well for roughly 20 minutes before I shut her down.

After removing the pump I checked for debris saw none. The old pump however did have gunk built up in it. I took it home and bench tested with nothing so I figured that was the issue. As for phase separation not a clue. I thought about removing the fuel water separator and draining it and placing new fuel in there.

It cranks, can hear the fuel pump engage. Just not running. I'm gonna spray the carb later today and see if I cant get her running with starter fluid.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusBoatimus View Post
Port starts up after rocking the throttle back and forth a couple of times.
That should be the starting procedure for the carb engines. Throttle ONLY, pump (I went to 3/4 throttle) the throttle 3-4 times. Then advance slightly past the detensor while starting. Once the engine catches, put back into neutral.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
That should be the starting procedure for the carb engines. Throttle ONLY, pump (I went to 3/4 throttle) the throttle 3-4 times. Then advance slightly past the detensor while starting. Once the engine catches, put back into neutral.
I went back over the weekend. Disconnected the pump from the carb and tested, shot plenty of fuel into the rag.

Still not firing so next guess would be to check spark. I dont have a timing light, just spark plug testers for a car. So I'm gonna pick up a timing light then test the wires.

Would you agree that would be the next area to check? My second thought is a gunked up carb.

Again thanks all for input, very valuable this site.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #7
Admiral

Try disconnecting the throttle cable from the carb then manually pump the throttle on the carb while looking to see if any fuel comes out the accelerator jets in the bores. Then check for spark.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote