Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Oil Pan

I have a Maxum 2400 SCR 305 Merc 220 HP 5.0 and have a hole in the bottom of my oil pan. Looks like someone previously patched it. Now I think I know why they just put a patch on it. Anyone have experience with this project?

National Marine Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
Admiral

yep...sure do....what alot of folks do is figure that water in the bilge is no big deal.....but in reality it is a big deal....so..to answer your question if there was one...the engine has to be pulled and the pan replaced....which means the drive had to come off first...then the engine can be pulled....that would be a good time to make mods to the bilge pump...clean the bilge..put a remote oil drain on the new oil pan....

keep the water out of the engine bay....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
Ensign

The bilge has been mostly dry except for a little rain water that usually dries up from the engine heat. I am guessing that for whatever reason the oil pan rotted a hole in it and was just patched over with some type of epoxy. So, not knowing any better I hung upside down in the engine compartment for a couple of hours and removed the oil pan. It was a puzzle to get it out but was able to tilt and twist it out. There was no oil in in since it all leaked out. That was a chore cleaning all the old oil out of the bilge. I removed the splash plate and oil pump to be able to remove the old gasket and install the new one. I later found out from my friend Greg Cooley that I could have just removed the dip stick guide tube to get the gasket off. He said that I could have even re-used the old gasket. Just make sure its clean. Sometimes the new gaskets are hard to seat in the corners. Well to make a long story short, four - six hours later and many bruises and scrapes, I have it all back together and have ran the engine up to temp and everything seems fine. I did not install a new drain tube on the bottom of the oil pan. It makes sense to do that but it would not have fit back into place. It was that tight. Next time I think I might opt for the remove the engine method!! Next on my list is troubleshooting the navigation lights. It is not the fuse or bulb. I will test the wire and switch next. Fun stuff?!
National Marine Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Commander

Cool oil pan

I would never had thought you could remove the pan in the boat on a 2400scr I pulled the motor last year to fix a leaky gasket. good for you not a fun job
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote