Old 09-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #21
Lieutenant

That is good to know! I dont believe I hit 4800 whent I was on the sound last week if I remember correctly.

Roc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Hydrofoil? I'm trying to figure out what you are talking about. I've heard of people putting Whale Tails on the outdrive but I don't think they accomplish much since any forward speed has it out of the water pretty quick....
Whale Tail is just a brand name of a hydrafoil. A large number of people report that they are able to get on plane much quicker and stay on plane at relatively slower speeds.

The problem I have with them is a boat is supposed to get lift from the hull. A foil is generating lift from the outdrive, which is transferring vertical force to the transom assembly. The drive and transom assembly were not designed to lift the weight of the boat and assist in the planing forces. Trim tabs do the same thing.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #23
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc64 View Post
I bought it. It actually preformed pretty well, but may eventually look into 4 blades.
Congrats on new boat!
neverthesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:52 PM   #24
Lt. JG

I’m a very late with this post so I apologize. You’ve probably moved on etc. I have a 2000 2800scr with a single 7.4 mercruiser. It comes up on plane without any issues. The 454 is a brute of an engine and considering the length/weight of that boat, the performance is perfectly acceptable - engineered well. RPM at cruising speed around 3600. She like gas but back at the dock, I like beer. Seriously, the boat is not a pig and will get up and go at WOT (63klm). I prefer to optimize my mileage and keep it under 20 gals per hour - which is easily obtainable if one exercises some restraint.
George K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #25
Lieutenant

Thanks George! At what speed to you figure you are getting approx 20 gal per hour?
Old 02-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #26
Lt. JG

Default 20 gallons per hour

The 2800scr uses about 20 gals per hour closer to 4000 rpm. Maybe 18 at 3700 - 3800rpm. Calculating mileage is an art in itself. The gas gauge on the boat, I believe, is meant to be read while under way and on plane. At he dock - she'll read about 1/8th less gas. The 2800scr is a rather big boat with at the limits of what a single can be outfitted with. Still, a single is much easier to work on and a Bravo 3 handles just fine forwards and back. Good luck with your purchase - it's a great boat that'll be around for many years to come.
George
George K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #27
Lieutenant

Thanks for the info! Yes I love the boat very much. Got her out 5 or 6 times at the end of the year, but really have the itch right now!
Old 02-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #28

I used to move my weight to to front of the boat on my 2800. I placed the cooler, generator and rolled up dinghy on the companionway floor in the cabin as far forward as I could get it. I used to place the cooler and Honda 2K on the floor, then laid the rolled up dinghy on top of them. I installed a couple of pad eyes on the v-berth bulkhead and used cam-style tie down straps to hold it all in place.

That improved overall trim and time to plane significantly. It also made the boat take heavy seas significantly better. It prevented me from flying of of waves and banging into the face of the next.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote