Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2022, 12:22 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default New Shore Power Location

Hi guys,
I have a 2004 2500 SCR which has the shore power outlet at the back in a hatch. And that's the only one! I am considering adding another one on the starboard side at mid-point. Anyone done this before?

Thanks for any knowledge.

dwleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:07 AM   #2
Admiral

I’ve never seen two shore power receptacles on the same line. This would also be a safety issue as the receptacle has blade contacts and connecting to one will provide power to the other and if one lifts the cover you can accidentally touch the blades getting shocked. If you add one midship you should disconnect the other.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
I’ve never seen two shore power receptacles on the same line. This would also be a safety issue as the receptacle has blade contacts and connecting to one will provide power to the other and if one lifts the cover you can accidentally touch the blades getting shocked. If you add one midship you should disconnect the other.
Never saw it like that. My last two boats had outlets midship on both sides and, although I don't know for sure, I don't think they were separate.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:36 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwleo View Post
Never saw it like that. My last two boats had outlets midship on both sides and, although I don't know for sure, I don't think they were separate.
Were they line 1 and 2 on both sides? Typically line 2 is for the air conditioning. Was there a switch to select which side?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:58 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

A lot of Rinkers had dual sets of shore power. Usually transom port and midships starboard … both line 1 and 2 on both areas. Having them diagonal meant you could bow in or back in and always find a connection that would work.

However the way they accomplished this was an isolation relay behind the AC panel. Whichever connection was energized would pull the contacts over and de-energize the other set. Similar to a transfer switch for a home generator.

As stated, it would be unsafe to wire another set directly in parallel because the male connectors on the empty set would be energized and could be touched. You would either need to permanently unwire the unused set or install some type of selector/transfer switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:02 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Were they line 1 and 2 on both sides? Typically line 2 is for the air conditioning. Was there a switch to select which side?
Never saw a switch and to be fair, I only used one for hookup.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:09 PM   #7
Commander

A transfer switch - with a 'only one at at time' lock out design (like a generator, or shore power, switch) would make your idea work just fine. I'd HIGHLY recommend having a professional marine certified electrician do the installation.
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:55 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

I installed an outlet in my anchor hatch on the bow of my 3300 so I could plug my Honda generator in on the bow when I wanted. I put another outlet in the stern locker, in essence creating a glorified extension cord. Power is still fed to the boat through the original outlet in the stern locker. When I want to use the stern receptacle I simply plug the shore power cord in as usual. When I want to use the bow I plug the shore power cable in the stern locker into the new receptacle I installed instead of the shore power outlet. Now I can energize the receptacle on the bow to power the boat. There is no way with this setup to energize both at the same time or have any live exposed plugs.

sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:59 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo82 View Post
A lot of Rinkers had dual sets of shore power. Usually transom port and midships starboard … both line 1 and 2 on both areas. Having them diagonal meant you could bow in or back in and always find a connection that would work.

However the way they accomplished this was an isolation relay behind the AC panel. Whichever connection was energized would pull the contacts over and de-energize the other set. Similar to a transfer switch for a home generator.

As stated, it would be unsafe to wire another set directly in parallel because the male connectors on the empty set would be energized and could be touched. You would either need to permanently unwire the unused set or install some type of selector/transfer switch.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.