Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Maxum 2300 SR Help

Never considered a power boat until recently. I have been doing some light research into Maxum. I found a Maxum this weekend at the local public boat ramp. I think it is for sale but the for sale sign had been torn from the hull but you can see where the tape and torn paper was previously. I am not able to determine the year. I got some pictures and the HIN number. Is there a way you guys can tell the year by the hull pictures or the HIN number? HIN is MXGA49MBA000...the B could be an 8 I guess but I think it is a B.

Since I don't know who owns the boat and I don't know squat about power boats, can I locate the owner(s) by the registration number on the side of the hull somehow?

Is there a thread in the forum for noobies that want to buy a used Maxum but don't know really what to do to protect/limit myself from a bad purchase? What kind of business name should I look up in the phone book for to have a mechanic go over the boat and drive it.

Do these boat reports I see available for $$ really show the boat history or am I just hoping that the owner(s) took it to a Maxum dealer for the work where it got logged into the system. I can't see the
report showing the boats true history if it was serviced by some third party mechanic back yard shop...?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resistration.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	2584Click image for larger version

Name:	HIN.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	2585Click image for larger version

Name:	MC.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	2586Click image for larger version

Name:	Model.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	2587

Click image for larger version

Name:	Port View.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	2588

Thanks,
Roxx

Roxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #2

Welcome aboard Roxx. The last two digits of the HIN are the year of manufacture. I can't quite make it out in the picure. Is that an 00? That would be 2000.

The entire Forum is for anyone with questions, so you started at the right place.

I'm not sure how much info. you'll be able to get from the HIN. A title search may only tell you whether the person who currently owns the title it is the actual owner and whether there are any oustanding leans or reports of stolen property. I doubt you'll be able to contact each of the previous owners, or that they'd take the time to speak with you. This is a waste of time in my opinion.

As for getting service history, there is no "Boat Fax" if that is what you're asking. There's no guarantee the owner(s) went to the same mechanic, or any mechanic for that matter.

What I would do is this:

1) Arrange to have the boat surveyed by licenses marine surveyor.

2) Make sure to include a mechanical survey (engine) not just boat.

3) ANY Mercruiser mechanic can do work on this boat. However that does not make them a certified surveyor. usually a Surveyor will bring a mechanic for the mechanical portion of the survey.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote