Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2021, 08:48 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Looking to add AC to 2400SCR

Hi there. I'm looking to add an AC unit to my 2001 2400SCR. I know the option was available but mine never had it. I was looking into installing a Marineair unit. From what I have researched so far, it looks like the unit will fit right behind my fridge. I am trying to figure out where the ductwork would go. I have a small vent in the little cuddy bed area at the mid-berth (I think I'm calling it right). I originally thought this was a pre-installed vent, but in looking around, it appears it might be a vent for the fridge? Anyone who has a 2400, any chance you can tell me, or even better shoot a few pics of your vent locations? Do you only have 1 in and 1 out vent? If the vent in the mid-berth cabin isn't for AC like I thought, does that area cool down still? I like it cold enough to have penguins running around while I sleep, so found it very uncomfortable sleeping on the boat during the summer, hence why I'm springing to put in the AC.

Thanks!
Dave

viper12161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:42 PM   #2
Admiral

While I’ve never used it my 1997 came with AC. I’ll see if I have any pictures but the unit is behind the frig as you suggested. I have 2 vents; 1 in the midberth and 1 in the main cabin on the forward wall for the head. I believe the return is a gap under the frig.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
Admiral

I don't have any pictures handy but on page 32 of the manual you'll see the layout of the system. Looks like the return is in the midberth and the two vents are in the main cabin; one above the frig and the other on the bulkhead forward of the head.

I'll send you the manual in a PM.

Mike
Old 10-07-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Awesome, thanks!! This is kinda where I figured. I also reached out the Marineair about powering the unit. They said I could just wire it in to my existing AC panel, just need to add a 15amp breaker. Thought that was pretty awesome so I don't need to run a whole new 110 power receptacle on the boat and an extra cable to plug in.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
Admiral

My boat has a second line for the AC. You can use line 1 that you have just be sure not to overload it between AC and other 110VAC items.

Mike
Old 10-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Yeah, the only thing I really run on the 110 currently is the Fridge, battery charger and the outlets. The only thing that really plugs in the outlet is some fans and phone chargers. Won't need the fans with the AC The unit I am looking at only uses 500 watts (can also run off an inverter), so I think I'll be ok. The biggest challenge I think I am going to have is installing the inverter so I can run when not plugged into the docks and then a switch to change between AC power or the inverter. Trying to figure how I am going to wire all that, specifically the inverter. I currently have 2 batteries. One is a combo starter/Deep cell which is on BAT 1 and the other one is strictly a starter battery on BAT2. I am trying to decide if I should just replace Bat 2 with a deep cycle battery and then run the inverter off that (I haven't used that battery at all, switch stays on BAT 1 all the time, it's just there in case I need it.) I thought of installing a 3rd battery for just the inverter, but then I would need to figure out how the heck to charger that one. Easy enough to just pick up another charger that can do 3 or 4 batteries and replace my existing one for shore charging, but my concern would be how to charge it on the water. Don't think I could wire in a 3rd battery to charge off my alternator without killing it. That's why I am sort of leaning towards my first idea.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:08 PM   #7
Admiral

Don’t forget to include the power to run the water pump that carry’s away the AC heat. Doubt a battery or two will run the AC for long. Need to look at this in amp/hours.

Mike
Old 10-08-2021, 01:29 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

Hmmm, that's a valid point. Will have to research that a bit more I guess
Old 10-08-2021, 02:19 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm gonna say the heck with the inverter. The only other reason I was pondering one was for the AC and to run a small TV. As I am looking, I see they have 12v TV's, so don't even need for that anymore. So maybe, I'll just run AC straight to the Panel with Line 1 and call it a day.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:34 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

I can share from experience that if the AC is cranking, even my Honda 2200’s 1 gal tank would only last a few hours. I think you would need to add more house batteries to make it marginally functional. The AC uses a lot of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Thanks!! Yeah, the more and more I think of it, I may just got the route of having AC at the docks only and forget the inverter. Worst case, if I am so inclined and out on the water needing AC, I could always bring a small genny with me and attach it to my swim platform and just plug into the Line 1 port. We have never slept out on the water with it yet, not sure I would feel comfortable sleeping with the just the anchor out. I'd be afraid I'd wake up and adrift halfway to Bermuda!!