Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Looking for advice on purchase: Maxum 2700/2800 v. Sundancer

This is my first cruiser. I've decided on a single engine and I understand the best drive system is Merc with a Bravo III. I have been looking at Sundancers. Can anyone give their experience with Maxums and things I should consider?

I live on the Gulf coast and will be doing multiple week long trips along the coast as well as many weekends.

Any input would be appreciated.

-Mark
St. Pete FL

mguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Admiral

Well first of all welcome to the Maxum website Mark......... Hope you and family have had a great holiday.

In my 30 years of boating I have had a few different brand of boats which my current boat is a 2001 Maxum 3000 SCR. So I have a very bias opinion here. But before I bought this Maxum I looked at all sorts of different brands of boats. This is just like buying a car. Compare apples to apples thing. Your Chevy would not compare to a BMW. Both are great cars but one is one side of the coin and the other is the other side. So you have to put that idea into propective.

I would imagine you have a budget and what can you get the most bang for the buck might be in the back of your mind. I could of bought a Searay but with my budget and after looking a this 2001 Maxum compared to a Searay of the same price I got more value with my Maxum and newer model. They are built almost identically as far as struture goes. You will have the same mechanicals as a Searay. I can remember a Searay salesman one time getting a cushion out and turning it over and saying " see stainless steel staples"! I never laughed so hard in my life! yes the Searay will have luxury items that the Maxum does not have, but you will pay for that. Do you need all this......the 10 dollar question. Lay -out of the cabin I bet will be the deciding factor in your decison maybe.

I love my Maxum. Even with them being out of business boats parts are still easy to get for the most part. Your never have to worry about the Mercury parts being hard to get. Maxum boats are a top notch quality construction. Buy one you will be very happy.

So that is my bias opinion. I have never owned a searay. I have had friends who have and they have enjoyed them. I sure when you look at used or new there will be a price difference for the same year and model type. Your decision.......

Good Luck and let us know how you come out. Whatever you do decide make sure you use a marine surveyor to check that new purchase out before you buy. Well worth the money!

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Thanks for the input

Hi Roger, I really appreciate your input. A few more questions for your or anyone else who would like to chime in.

Regarding length, my 1st choice would be a 30 footer, however that would necessitate twins. I am very concerned about engine maintenance and fuel consumption...I am really a sailor at heart, but a sailboat just doesn't make sense now for what I want to do with the vessel. So I've been looking at 27s with the big block v8 and a Bravo III. What engines and drives do you have on your 3000 SCR and do you have an idea on the fuel burn? As for maintenance, it seems likely for the bill to be 2x of a single...any comments on that?

Yes, I agree about the Searay "talk", they refer to fit and finish a lot, but not terribly specific.

Where do you boat? I will be in the Gulf and undoubtedly will be caught in some heavy seas from time to time...any comment on the handling?

Lastly, Searay does have an extensive club where they organize outings. That is a draw for me...do you know if Maxum owners have something similar?

Many thanks for your input,

Mark
Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Admiral

Mark......Our Maxum 3000 SCR has twin 5.0L v8's and bravo 2's outdrives. My wife and I boat on the Illinois River in Peoria Il. This is part of the Loop system.

I had the same thoughts about more maintenance issues as you, but I just started to buy in bulk and you just get use to two oil changes spark plugs, etc etc. Where you are going to boat is the main reason to have a "spare" just in case one quits on you, you have a way to get make home.

Our 3000 has two 75 gallons tanks. 150 total. One on each side. I also have the carb version. I wanted to go old school and she does alright for using gas. You might also look into a generator or genny also.

The searay club I would imagine you could get the same with joining a yacht club where you might have your slip. I also belong to the United States Power Squadron ( www.USPS.org ) You might want to look into that. Depending with the squadron they have alot of social activities going on.

Hopefully more will chime in here and good luck in your quest. This is almost like buying a house and in realitity it is your house on water )tax deduction on the loan interest)

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Captain

hey,

i did it one year ago first boat , and i got the maxum 28scr for the following reasons: ( i have picture all over this site for repairs)
1. i like the dinnette that you did not have to take apart to make a bed in the forward berth.
2. i wanted a MPI -- fuel injections.... no carborator motors.
3. single engine for less repair and maintance. one single 7.4 mpi, not the 2- 4.3 v-6.
4. they did not offer a 4.3 mpi until 2005 and those did not come with bravo III.
5. i looked at everthing for rinkers to sea rays, rinker to light on construction and power 5.7, and sea rays to over kill with gas guzzling engines.
6. don't buy a low priced 90's sea ray with twin crusadiers, it will cost you $100 to get into the channel is gas.
7. all used boats will have problems for you to fix, just budget to put $1000.00 in first year.
8. fresh water heat exchanger better then a raw water cooled thru the engine block.
9. get a boat with factor A/C, resale on non A/C boats are crap.
10. If the used boat looks clean and care for, then mostly likely the engine and drive train too.
11. don't buy a bachlor boat, with a dirty shower, or a grampa boat that not been maintained.
12. the $800 boat survey will not save you from buying a dud. gaskets and leaks will still be unseen, like batteries going dead.
13. take $10k off of any asking price and start from there.
14. buy in october, not May..... beginning of the season.
15. you will burn $4.69 gallon at 23 mph = $60 fuel each trip, with out trying.
16. one single 7.4 onplane at @ 28 mph is 20 gallions an hour so, $93.60 an hour if your zipping around.
17. buy a boat you like, not to out do the other guy.... you can't win against a 42 with a 14 ft beam and an ice maker.
18. think of the the first boat as a grace period, and see if your going to lose intrested in boating after the first season.
19. don't be afraid to scratch it our hit a sand bar... everyone dose..... they jump out if front of you like a deer......
20. get a windless anchor.

just watch ebay and craigslist to watch the prices.

youtube for videos, just search maxum 28scr.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Ensign

Default reply to pascavone

Thanks for the list of ideas/thoughts:

I have a couple of follow-on's...if you don't mind:

i did it one year ago first boat , and i got the maxum 28scr for the following reasons: ( i have picture all over this site for repairs)
1. i like the dinnette that you did not have to take apart to make a bed in the forward berth.
- Yes, I have thought about that one, and a separate dinette would be nice.

2. i wanted a MPI -- fuel injections.... no carborator motors.
- Is yours multi-port or throttle-body? Did you want the MPI for fuel economy?

3. single engine for less repair and maintance. one single 7.4 mpi, not the 2- 4.3 v-6.
- Yes, that is what I am planning on...the regular maintenance (oil, etc.) is one thing, but knowing the major maintenance/replacement down the road is the big thing for me. I don't think you get twice the life in hours, just because you are running two v. one.

4. they did not offer a 4.3 mpi until 2005 and those did not come with bravo III.
- Yes, I want the Bravo III, I understand it is heavier duty, slow maneuvering is much better, and better fuel economy

5. i looked at everthing for rinkers to sea rays, rinker to light on construction and power 5.7, and sea rays to over kill with gas guzzling engines.
- Did you happen to look at the 270 or 280 Sundancers? They are available with the 7.4 Bravo III.

16. one single 7.4 onplane at @ 28 mph is 20 gallions an hour so, $93.60 an hour if your zipping around.
- this is more than I thought. I was thinking the published numbers for best cruise was 12 GPH

Thanks again, Mark
Old 12-31-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Captain

yes,

1. i almost got a 1998 searay 27 with the 7.4 MPI (mutli port injection), it had a dinnette, but did not want to go as old as the 90's. I was bidding the guys down between maxum, searay and rinker. I got greedy, and wanted the radar arch for the sport look, and the camper back for over nights.

2. MPI stands for multi port fuel injection. Carborator, in the hot humid summer, with gas vapors just seamed like the wrong way to go for me. Plus fuel injection, you don't get that black smoke on throddle up, nor the overly rich smell of gas at idle on poorly adjusted carbs. Also, the cranking and cranking, to get started, when you leaving the dock, and have lots of other stuff to worry about.

3. the duel engine is for people who want redundancy, if one fails they can still move. my insurance pays for unlimited towing though TRAVLERS... sea horse, so I don't even need sea tow. the 4.3 v-6 has less power each engine, and smaller props, and more combine weight to haul around. You can over stress one engine if your not RPM balanced while under way. you can mounver better, but with any bravo III, the outdrive drags the ass of the boat over anyway, so I don't see the need. Final insult to duels, is the marina will want to pull the engine out of the boat to change a starter due to lack of room to work around the engines.

4. yes, for the reasons above, but in the maxum 2005 and newer they went to a 6.2 MPI, its suppost to have more horse power, but I know how they made up new horse power rating system for cars in the 1970's, so most people I know with a single 6.2 MPI find it hard and slow to get up on plan.

5. yes, see #1.

6. best cruise could be 12 GPH but you'd be lucky to get up on plane, which is about 14 mph, and only stay their on "water flat as glass". No extra people or towels to add weight.
Trust me, you want to fly, not putt-putt around with the grampa boats from 1969 with a top end of 12 knots....
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #8

Regarding Fuel Consumption and maintenance. I was under the same impression and stuck with a single. Keep in mind that there are more variables than one engine vs. two. Two engines don't actually translate to 'double' anything. A single in a 28-29 ft. boat is going to be a big block V8 (Typically a 454 (7.4L) or a 496 (8.1L). A twin in the same size boat will either be a 6 cyclinder (4.3L) or two small block V8's (5.0L) or (5.5L). The twin small blocks V8's or 6 cyl. will take just a little bit more than the total amount of oil needed for a big block V8 during an oil change. OK, so on a small block V8 you double the number of spark plugs and plug wires, but not so much on a set of 6cl. twins. Take a look at the cost to repower a couple of 6 cyl. 4.3L's versus repowering a single big block. You'll find that you can just about replace 2 4.3 or even 5.0L for the cost of a big block as well. Fuel consumption IMHO will be about the same between twin 4.3: or 5.0 and a big block 454 (7.4L) or 496 (8.1L).

Maneuvering is easier with twins and the extra engine gives you some piece of mind. If one dies, you can still limp home on the other one. Just a couple of things to keep in mind. You definitely do not cut the cost of operation in half by going with a single and you don't double the cost of operation going with twins.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote