Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Installing a bow thruster

Hi all,
We have a 2400 SCR and would like to fit a bow thruster.Has anyone done this on a 24 footer and is there the space to fit one in anyway? I have read a previous post that advises that the cost ensures it isnt really a viable option and that you should use your 1st mate to full advantage but we are able to have one fitted at a reasonable price and it will give us a lot more control and confidence in our busy marina so feel it is worth it!!!!
Any advice gratefully received!
Thank you.

howards rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Admiral

If you are wanting to do this because you are a novice boater then yes.......you are throwing away your hard earned money. But if like you say you can get one installed at a reasonable price.......what the hay! Go for you it. I would still being going after that experienced 1st mate idea. Sounds like even the Admiral is learning too...Even with the bow thruster everyone needs to know just what the heck is going on and how to do it. Practise practise and practise.

Good Luck to the both of you....

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

have the same boat and had the same problem
would like one but don't have one now
have been practicing on 2 separate occasions (on very calm marina days)
yust going in and out 5 times in a row
must say it improved a lot
most important thing is the place were youre boat is harboured
mine was very very thight
talked to the harbourmaster and got myself a better/wider place
rens
rens914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Commander

Can't help but chime in, I have the 3500 and am seriously thinking about the thruster, it's not about how good you are, it's about how easy it can be, sure I have docked my boat with a big crowd, no space and 30 knots but it was not fun, I also seen places available but chosen somewhere else because its easier, I say if you can afford it, do it, they are meant to make life easier and they do, my next boat will have both stern and bow thrusters as a minimum
Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #5

The only boats that NEED a bow thruster are single inboards, like a trawler. They have very little control with no propwash going across the rudder when in reverse, and the big props are prone to significant prop walk. Everything else is a 'want'. It's nice to have, but not necessary. The degree of convenience is dictated by overall ability. The more experienced, the less feeling of want.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Commander

Shrew, I agree but if you can afford the Ferrari why drive the Hyundai?
Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
Ensign

Default Installing a bow thruster

Thanks for the reply.
It's a combination of the 2 really! Think we will always need more practice but anything that helps is welcome!! Will continue to practice whenever we can get out and just need to find out if there is room to fit it in the bow now!
Thanks Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
If you are wanting to do this because you are a novice boater then yes.......you are throwing away your hard earned money. But if like you say you can get one installed at a reasonable price.......what the hay! Go for you it. I would still being going after that experienced 1st mate idea. Sounds like even the Admiral is learning too...Even with the bow thruster everyone needs to know just what the heck is going on and how to do it. Practise practise and practise.

Good Luck to the both of you....

Roger
Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Ensign

Hi Rens,
Like you we try to practice whenever we can -we are in Ramsgate and sure you will appreciate that we're restricted a lot of the time due to weather! As Roger said, the practice is crucial but we are definitely considering it (if it is possible to fit in as very limited space there.....).
Let us know when you take ypur first crossing to England maybe we can have a maxum owners convention!
Thanks for replying.
Howard's rock
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
Ensign

Hi Hudd,
Totally agree-like you we have come in in difficult conditions and want to make it a bit easier. Where we are we have seen experienced yachties arrive (from overseas and from within the UK) and they don't worry too much about who or what they hit which can be amusing to watch but we don't want to damage the boat or anyone elses!!! Our next one will definitely have one but that's a few years away yet! So yes, if we can afford the Ferrari we will get it. I think the issue now is if it is actually physically possible to fit one with the limited space there is in the bow......
Thanks for the comments.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #10
Lt. JG

Howards Rock, congrats on finding a bow thruster for your boat as I was not aware they even made them for the 24'SCR. Have the same boat as yours and I too wish I could have one available for those oh so windy days that just push your boat right around. I actually parrell parked last year between two piers much to my surprise and the rest of the onlookers. Post a pic of it if you can. Would like to see what's available out there. Hope it all work out well for you.
A Little Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Commander

I would love to see how it's installed and how much it cost To install

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote