Old 09-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Inflatable dinghy for 2400 SCR

I'm looking for ideas on how to tow/transport an inflatable dinghy on my 2400 SCR. We live on Long Island NY and boat on the Great South Bay. I'm interested in buying an inflatable with small motor to get us to shore, clamming and into the shallows. Just wanted to see how others were transporting it. I've seen the davits that mount onto the swim platform and hinge up, but I'm not too keen on bolting them onto my brand new extended swim platform(not to mention that it will impede access to the entry door). The other issue I have is that I keep my boat in a slip all season(would be tough backing in with it on the rear)... Are the inflatables light enough to pull out of the water and strap to the bow? What would I do with the small outboard motor while under way? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.... Thank you!

Diggin2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:13 AM   #2
Admiral

I do not have a dingy but this size boat has limited options. The option you mentioned but do not like is probably the best solution. Yes if the dingy is not too big and you are strong enough I have seen them stored on the bow! However this can impede your forward vision. The kicker can be mounted on a bracket attached to the transom.

Another option is to pull it behind you on a painter but you cannot dock this way.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 AM   #3
Lieutenant

We have Zodiac Zoom 230 Rollup that we use as a tender for our 2700SCR. We keep stowed in the cabin and inflate/deflate it on the foredeck and launch/retrieve from there as well. It is light enough for one person to pull it out of the water.

http://www.zodiacmarineusa.com/boat/60/zoom-230-roll-up
Old 09-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Thank you for the responses... cdhunter, where do you store the motor?
Diggin2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
Lieutenant

I store an electric trolling motor in the engine compartment on the port side next to the fresh water tank.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Admiral

BoatUS member? The new Oct/Nov magazine issue has a great section on your problem.

Pick up the issue and it might give you some ideas.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #7

Diggin2Day, do you have any pics with the swim platform installed? We do similar to CDHunter. We have a Zodiac 260 Roll-up. We inflate/deflate it on the front deck. It fits through the front hatch. We store it on the Vberth, and toss it on the companionway floor when underway. We have a Honda 2hp we store on the rail on the back transom.
Admittedly, we have a 2800, and it's only the two of us, so that makes it a bit easier. If we have someone on board, then I move it to the front helm seat so they can use the v berth.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote