Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Send a message via AIM to jblack1036
Default in need of a "mooring" cover for my 94 2400 SCR and extension top for the BI-Mini

I've been trying to find a mooring cover for my 1994 2400 SCR but can't seem to find nothing but full covers. I will finally be docked at a slip next year and really don't want to leave the camper enclosure up while away for the week since I'll only be on the boat for the weekends. Does anyone on here know where I could find one.

Also, I've been wanting to extend the BI-Mini top. I"ve seen some of the same style boats with extenders. I've also seen them with the straight up camper enclosures rather than the slant type that I have. Does anyone have any advice...

I'm all ears. I have plenty of time between now and May to get it.

Thanks in advance...

Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Admiral

well...I'd talk to Leta's top shop...in arlington washington..she has some of the patterns and she might be able to swing one with you....the camper top is easy for her..she can make those too...

360-435-3067

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Seapuppy,

Thanks for the contact number. Although, I've tried contacting them via the email route on more than one occassion and have never recieved a response back from them. Sorta makes me a little shy of calling them directly if they won't respond to the "CONTACT" button at the top of their page. I'm sure they are a little busy but if they provide that service, you would think they would respond as well. I'll continue my search and as a last resort I'll give them a call. As a note, I was wanting to purchase a winter cover from them a year back but they never responed back so I purchased my winter cover through someone else.

Again, thanks in advance...
Old 12-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Jim,

I feel the same way regarding businesses that have a web site offering an email option. If it's provided someone should be checking it and responding. Many people feel, myself included, that if an email reply is received then the business is legitimate and thus gives the customer the warm and fuzzys.

Leta's is one of "those" that does not - for whatever reason. Nevertheless, legitimate, I assure you.

My Leta's experience: I needed to have the eisenglass in my camper enclosure replaced, and I didn't need to upgrade the material. I shopped local here in Northern Va and was getting quotes ranging anywhere from 145.00 to 275.00. Seemed crazy to me. Sent Leta's an email and got no reply - natch. Followed up a few days later with a phone call, a pleasent conversation, and was quoted 75.00. Boxed it, shipped it, got a phone call (voice mail) a week or two later that it was ready. Phoned in the payment, received enclosure 4 or 5 days later - I didn't even pay the return shipping.

My guess? Very small business - maybe a 1 or 2 person shop, with "old school" ways. Viable resource.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Admiral

I live quite close to leta's top shop....your right Dan...it's a small mom and pop shop...they got a website but the girls really don't play on the puter much...too busy making tops and enclosures.....they do top quality work and have all the bayliner/maxum patterns...if they don't have it..they send you to the other lady that does...they actually work in a huge barn/shed off a country road....tells ya how far off they are..but around here they are known to visit your boat first hand...take measurements if needed and have it done/installed within a week....very fast service...

I'd call them and talk to Leta or one of the other ladies there....very nice people...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #6

There are many traditional 'bricks and mortar'/'mom $ pop businesses out there. Many of them have been around for a very long time with excellent reputations. Many of them are trying to increase business presence through web sites, E-mail etc. Most are simply trying to keep up with the ever evvolving business trends, however their established 'business process' has not been modified to account for the differences in how customer's are seeking to do business with them.

I would not say this is necessarily a reflection of their quality or professionalism. We could look at the thousands of web based businesses that are quick to process an order and collect payment, then never ship product or respond to follow-up E-mails or phone calls. If the company doesn't respond to E-mails or online submissions but DOES answer calls then that is a decent company.

Put in perspective....my mobile mechanic has no website and no E-mail. but he answers my phone calls, returns my phone calls. I've had 2 critical issues over the last 2 years, where I called him on my run back to my dock (one of which my boat was sinking because the intake hose came undone while underway) in both cases he was waiting for me at my dock. In more than one instance he has been on my boat doing work at midnight on a Saturday.

All I'm saying is keep an open mind and make sure you're looking at the entire picture.

There are many local canvas guys who can come out and do custom measurements and make exactly what you want. If you'd prefer to do business with a truly Local guy that will set foot on your boat, don't discount a local canvas guy. They will make you anything you want within reason.

Whatever you do, please try to support you local mom and pop business. Our economy depends on it.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Lt. JG

ss3964speed, seapuppy and shrew,

Thank you very much for the input. Not knowing the company, and having never had any dealings with them is what makes me hesitant to rely on them. Granted, I should take into consideration that maybe they are a small shop and that they may not have enough employees to answer any request due to demanding work loads. Now that I have some positive feedback I will attempt to get ahold of them via phone and try to do some business with them. I, in no way meant to refer that they were not a viable source. I wasn't comfortable dealing with them for the reason that ss3964speed opened his reply with.
Again, thank you for the responses and enabling me to open my eyes little wider. :-)
Old 12-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
Lt. JG

I've just been through a similar search. I bought a very nice full cover from i-boats which I'm using as a winter cover.
As for the mooring cover I'd suggest you look for a local canvas shop since, if they are going to do it right, they will want to come and measure your boat and take into account any snaps, cleats or other fittings. It's going to cost. my replacement mooring cover will cost 2 to 3 times what the "semi custom" full cover did but it's worth it to me to have my boat (actually my Wife's) protected and to be able to go to someone local if I have problems
John G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
cj
Lieutenant

Bought my 2400scr full camper top, and mooring cover from Leta's two seasons ago. Great price, quick, and all fit perfectly.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 AM   #10
Lt. JG

try kim at canvas plus in arlignton washington as well, she has all the maxum patterns as well! she did a fantastic job on redoing my entire interior cushions and the exterior seats as well! great value and great work fast too!!!

davevaill is offline   Reply With Quote