Old 08-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Help needed by new 2008 2900 SE Owner with Electrical Power

I just purchased a 2008 Maxum 2900 SE and brought it home after a successful 95 mile trek North up the Chesapeake from MD's Southeastern Shore. The seller confused me by telling me that I'd drain the Port & Starboard batteries if I left them "engaged" on the battery control panel in the cockpit even when connected to 110-volt shore power. When I do this, I can't turn on the interior lights, run the fresh water pump, the cockpit refrigerator, or the radios. The seller left me with very little in the way of a manual, but I was able to download the 2900 SE "Supplemental Manual" from this forum's links. Unfortunately, the supplemental manual does not go into too much detail.

(1) How can I engage the 12-volt system while docked without draining the batteries?

(2) How do I turn on the internal 110-volt generator? I was told that there are two (2) switches to engage it, any suggestions on where I would find them?

(3) Anyone know a link or a source for the Original Owners Manual for a 2008 2900 SE?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Patrick Bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
Admiral

Tell us more about the battery set up. Dual engines? Do you have the 1/2/BOTH/ OFF type switch(s)???

Batteries? How many total, How many for starting and how many for hoouse??

While docked with shore power connected the battery charger (assume you have an onboard charger given how nice the SE's are) should keep up with any draw you place on your house.

Your generator switches will be on the power panel in the galley. If you are in an marina grab one of the maintenance guys and offer him a couple beers to come on board and walk you through it.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:19 AM   #3
Admiral

You need the house battery on to run 12V things such as lights and water pump which does drain 5he battery but if you are on shore power with the battery charger on it will keep it charged. I would think the generator switch would be on the shore power panel.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:23 AM   #4
Admiral

In order to start the genny you need to make sure the shore power is turned off. there should be a switch cover that you move from one to the other (2 switches the PO mentioned) before starting the genny.... PO did a crappy job of handing off the boat to you...

Post pics.. I bet it is a beauty!!!
Old 08-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Yes, there are twin battery set-ups, with an emergency patch over option for starting either engine (2 x 260 HP Merc's). I did not discern a "house 12-volt" option for powering incidentals (refridge, radio, etc). When I left the Port battery overnight last night to support 12-volt functions, none of them worked this morning. Once I patched in the Starboard battery switch all 12-volt functions powered up 100%. When I left the boat tonight, I isolated all 12-volt draws other than battery charging. This left my radio and the cockpit refrigerator without power. I did this since I plan to take the boat out for a spin tomorrow and I didn't want to find a dead battery when I turned on the ignition for either side.

My surveryor found one (1) of my generator switches "bad", but he did activate the 110-volt generator via the 2nd switch for the sea trial while recommending that the primary (B-1?) switch be replaced. I don't understand if the B-1 reference is for the direct switch in the engine area or for the cabin generator switch (?).

I am obviously out of my comfort zone with these issues. So much for thinking that COVID-19 & social distancing requirements would make a boat purchase a wise idea in 2020. This year is so screwed up, I'd like to go into a medically-induced coma and wake up on my 64th birthday (1/1/2021).
Old 08-14-2020, 12:33 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Can you please provide a layman's defining of "PO"?

I apologize for my ignorance.............. I've been a boat owner for 5 days now.

LOL
Old 08-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bodkin View Post
Can you please provide a layman's defining of "PO"?

I apologize for my ignorance.............. I've been a boat owner for 5 days now.

LOL
Previous Owner.

Mike
Old 08-14-2020, 01:27 AM   #8
Admiral

You paid the survivor good money call him and ask what he meant of B-1. Could be battery bank 1. BTY the manual you found on this site is one of the better ones for most boats and is about all you’ll find.

Mike
Old 08-14-2020, 01:31 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Thank you, I see you're in Maryland, on the West Bank of the Bay, probably near Bodkin Creek (no relation that I know of... LOL). Good advice on the Inspector, I'll give him a call tomorrow.

We're keeping the boat on a marina on the Sassafras River in Cecil County. Looks like you're just about across the bay from us....... hello.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:59 AM   #10
Admiral

twin engines and only 2 batteries?
Old 08-14-2020, 02:01 AM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
This year is so screwed up, I'd like to go into a medically-induced coma and wake up on my 64th birthday (1/1/2021).

I'll watch the boat... I bet it's a beauty!!
Old 08-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Thank you, I see you're in Maryland, on the West Bank of the Bay, probably near Bodkin Creek (no relation that I know of... LOL). Good advice on the Inspector, I'll give him a call tomorrow.

We're keeping the boat on a marina on the Sassafras River in Cecil County. Looks like you're just about across the bay from us....... hello.
Hello I’m on Sue Creek in Middle River which is just off the Bay by Hart Miller Island. It’s been a few years since I was on the Sassafras but it’s a beautiful river to anchor on.

Mike
Old 08-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #13
Lieutenant

Default Photos of DC Control Panel, and a description of my findings

Please see below photos of the DC control panel. The 1st photo depicts the switches as a 12 O-clock position, like the way that I left it last night while hooked to shore power, which cut off 12-volt power to the cabin, galley, and accessories.

The 2nd photo is what I did this morning to restore 12-volt service to the boat, by engaging the starboard DC control to a 3 O'Clock position. When I did this, I also starting to hear a quiet but steady repeating rotating equipment noise, like a washing machine but much quieter.

I remain concerned that I don't know what I don't know.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1090.jpg   IMG_1091.jpg  
Old 08-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
Admiral

Is the boat equipped with a electric toilet or macerator pump out? You can try pulling one fuse at a time until the noise goes away.

Mike
Old 08-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #15
Lieutenant

The boat is equipped with a vacuum type head, with a macerator, I assume.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

The "washing machine" noise is most likely the vacuum pump for the head. If it is running constantly it's probably got some type of vacuum leak or bad vacuum pump.
Hope this helps
Trey5684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #17
Admiral

does the noise sound like someone saying utah utah utah utah ???
Old 08-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #18
Lieutenant

Yes, I would say that would describe it.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #19
Admiral

That's the vacuum pump... Does the toilet bowl retain water? If not, there is a seal kit for the bowl that is very easy to replace but you can start by trying to clean and lube the plastic seal at the ball valve (assuming vacu flush head).

If the bowl is holding water then you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the system or the pressure sensor on the pump has failed...
Old 08-14-2020, 04:02 PM   #20
Lieutenant

Good information. The toilet bowl does not retain water, and it seems like it has favorable vacuum. When you say "The ball valve", I assume that you are referring to the giant white sphere that opens when the unit is flushed?