Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Gear Lube leak (different question)

Hi I am new to this forum I just bought my Maxum 2400SC with a B3 drive the boat only had 50 hrs on it ... anyway we went for our first long ride yesterday (about 1.5hrs underway) we got back to the dock and when I opened the engine compartment I detected oil in the bilge. Needless to say I was surprised ...so i checked the engine oil level it was good then i looked at the drive lube bottle and it was low i ran my hand around the hose to check for leaks and it popped off the fitting back at the transom. Do they not clamp them on? ...so i had to lay on the engine because there is no room on the sides to get in there and for the life of me i cannot find the place where the hose connects ,,, does anyone have a GOOD picture or can you tell me exactly where it connects? ... I also had run aground the week before, im on LI and after the storm last year things are a bit different in the bays on the south shore ...could this have caused a leak as well? thanks

safebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

SB,

I doubt the grounding has anything to do with the leak. Hope you didn't hit too hard.

First determine what the leaked oil is; engine, drive, or power steering. That'll help you figure out where to start looking for the source. I have no idea where the hose for the drive lube connects back there, but I do know it's hard to get to because I also have a 2400 SC3.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
SB,

I doubt the grounding has anything to do with the leak. Hope you didn't hit too hard.

First determine what the leaked oil is; engine, drive, or power steering. That'll help you figure out where to start looking for the source. I have no idea where the hose for the drive lube connects back there, but I do know it's hard to get to because I also have a 2400 SC3.

Dan
Hey Dan thanks .. I didnt hit hard but i did stop quickly ...i was following someone about my size and i must have been about 1 or 2 feet off his course and i stopped dead...thanks the steering looked to be fine but i'll check again i just need to find where it disconnected from though ..i called a mechanic so i'll probably let a trained professional do it
Old 06-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Ensign

BUt if anyone knows where it connects let me know i'll try and reconnect it on my own ... thanks ...oh my name is Mike
Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #5

I gotta agree with Dan, until proven otherwise, you have two problems: An oil leak of some kind and a hose that hzs come disconnected. IF the gear lube drainee out of the resevoir, then I'd expect it to be a dark green. Engine oil, black. ISn't sterring fluid clear or golden in color (I can't remember). Did you just recently change the gear lube in the drive?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Ensign

Yes the drive oil was replaced before i launched the boat.. motor oil level was fine i'll check steering again but judging from the level of the lube oil canister i'd say its a pretty sure thing
Old 06-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Admiral

safebuster,
the lube line connects near the top of the transom assy below the tiller arm (where the steering cable connects). It should have a clamp on it that is sort of like a plastic zip tie. I'll see if I can find a picture but agree with shrew and dan on needs to confirm what type of fluid actually leaked.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
Admiral

Got some pictures, not the greatest but they should help.

See item 8 on the left hand side for location of transom lube tube and item 6 for clamp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	transom lube tube location.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	2824Click image for larger version

Name:	lube tube clamps plus.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	2825

Mike
Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Ensign

Thanks Mike
Old 06-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Admiral

You're welcome. Let us know the resolution.

Mike
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
Ensign

Ok so I called a mechanic who got to my boat this afternoon and determined the boat needed to be hauled and quite possibly the engine would need to either be removed or moved forward .... Needless to say I was concerned..so I decided to give myself one more shot ...low and behold I looked into the bowels of the boat and there I saw the black and gray of a quick disconnect connector. I manipulated my arms and hand down and popped the sucker off ..the way I figure it is ill either be able to pop the new quick disconnect on with the little space I have or worst case I'll have to remove one riser so I can get into the engine compartment and ill get in ... Boy just once I'd like to talk to a mechanic who doesn't look to use the most costly solution I know they need to make living but how about really doing the right thing and getting repeat business from someone who trusts them
Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Ensign

Ok so I called a mechanic who got to my boat this afternoon and determined the boat needed to be hauled and quite possibly the engine would need to either be removed or moved forward .... Needless to say I was concerned..so I decided to give myself one more shot ...low and behold I looked into the bowels of the boat and there I saw the black and gray of a quick disconnect connector. I manipulated my arms and hand down and popped the sucker off ..the way I figure it is ill either be able to pop the new quick disconnect on with the little space I have or worst case I'll have to remove one riser so I can get into the engine compartment and ill get in ... Boy just once I'd like to talk to a mechanic who doesn't look to use the most costly solution I know they need to make living but how about really doing the right thing and getting repeat business from someone who trusts them
Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Admiral

buster,
you lost me. So you determined that the power steering QD is where the leak is?

Mike
Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
Ensign

No it was the transom quick disconnect for the gear lube hose to my Bravo 3 ... I am officially thrilled to say I fixed it. I replaced the broken quick disconnect fitting and hose it took me 3.5hrs and my arms look like I wrestled a tiger and I discovered I can bend my arms, elbows and fingers in directions I never imagined, desperation makes you do crazy things. I guess it wasn't impossible! I just hope i never have to do it again!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
Captain

grease your engine coupler while your back there.....
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascavone View Post
grease your engine coupler while your back there.....
Where is that? .... Btw I'm in Wantagh
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
Admiral

Glad you were able to fix it. Now you know why the mechanic wanted to pull the engine, imagine crawling into engine comparments daily.

There is a grease fitting on the engine coupler where the drive shaft from the outdrive connects. You may need to rotate the engine till it can be reached.

Mike
Old 06-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #18
Ensign

[QUOTE=mmwjr;28051]Glad you were able to fix it. Now you know why the mechanic wanted to pull the engine, imagine crawling into engine comparments daily.

There is a grease fitting on the engine coupler where the drive shaft from the outdrive connects. You may need to rotate the engine till it can be reached.[/QUOTE

The mechanic called me tonight to tell me there is a kit that replaces all the plastic fittings with brass ...maybe when I take the boat out of the water....
He told me all of his mechanics dreaded doing the job ....
Old 06-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
Captain

hey safe buster, welcome to the water ways, as wantagh is a looooooong ride from massapequa......

it sounds like you took your boat to precision marine or treasure island, which in reality would make sense to pull the engine and replace all the transoms seals, pin seals, bellows, all at one time, on a 10 year old boat, since they know you'll be back for it.....

i use a local mobile mechanic who is very reasonable.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote