Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-23-2019, 01:24 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Fuel Tank Condition

Hi All,

I am new to Maxums, in fact owning a boat in general. I'm an engineer on larger luxury motor yachts, hence my fairly large first leap into boat ownership. Nothing by halves hey. I am currently in the process of buying a 2005 Maxum 2900 SE. I am getting a full pre-purchase survey undertaken and have been sent a few pictures by the current owner. The boat looks beautiful and extremely well maintained but I noticed what looks like some corrosion on the fuel tank (or what of it I can see from the engine bay).

I have (hopefully) attached a picture, I'm not sure if you'll be able to make out what I am talking about but the aluminium tank at the top of the picture looks to be a bit corroded. I can't make out whether some of what I see is some kind of tape/cladding or all corrosion.

As Owners, is corrosion of the tank an issue?

Many thanks,

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Fire Suppression extinguisher.jpg  

Chris Bruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:58 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Not the best picture for getting a good look at the tank but there does appear to be some corrosion. Most fuel tanks fail on the bottom where water gets trapped. You can perform a pressure test on the tank to see if it’s leaking but I would go in thinking the tank may need to be replaced in a few years. This is a big job and the engines need to come out to do so.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input, and yes, I was thinking the same. The thought of replacing the tank doesn't overly concern me as I have had to do the same with one of the Tenders to the vessel on which I work. Although it's very different when its somebody else's money you're spending.

On these Maxums, is there a need to cut out the cockpit floor as well? I know it's hard to say, but what do you think a rough estimate of cost would be? As the rest of the boat is in good condition I will need to decide whether it's still worth going for, or how much of a reduction to negotiate.

I've informed the surveyor and asked him to check thoroughly so we will see what he says.

Once again, thanks for the input.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #4

The tank should only extend under the mid-cabin berth. It won't go past the bulkhead into the bilge space under the sole of the cabin.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
Admiral

Hi Chris, as shrew stated the fuel tank doesn't go past the bulkhead of the mid-berth. Typically the engines come out, the bulkhead behind the tank shown in the picture is cut away and the deck under the mid-berth is removed to access the tanks hold downs. The biggest cost is the tank and it you are paying someone to do the work I would double to triple that cost to cover the rest of the work.

Mike
Old 01-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
Ensign

Hi Mike/Shrew,

Thanks for the info. I'll see what the surveyor comes back with. As I say, it doesn't put me off completely but will depend on whether or not the current Owner will accept a significant reduction should the work be necessary in the near future. We will see and I shall keep you informed.

Many thanks,
Old 03-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
Ensign

Just received 2 estimates today to replace tank on 28ftscr $6900 and $8400 crazy
dennisrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:09 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisrey View Post
Just received 2 estimates today to replace tank on 28ftscr $6900 and $8400 crazy
IMO there high but this is also a major job. Remove engine, remove bulkhead behind tank, remove midberth deck under mattress, dig out tank, reverse process.

Mike
Old 03-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #9

The removal isn't the expensive part, it's replacing what was removed, re-tabbing anything that was cut apart and re-fiberglassing everything when done.

If this is a Bravo III then, depending on the year, you will want to consider doing the transom assembly while the engine is out.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote