Old 04-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Cockpit cover

My boat is in outside dry storage, and it's been raining alot this year. I have it tarped, but I'm looking for a source for a boat cover for a 2006 Maxum 2600 SE. I've called Maxum/US Marine and Leta's Top Shop, and both said they can't help with this particular boat (no pattern was created).

I've seen a picture of what I need (see below), but I don't know where to go for such a thing. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat cover.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	569

iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

IM,

I believe that particular type of cover is known as "mooring cover" or "cockpit cover", not a boat cover - which would be akin to a car cover (which I have for my 2400 SC3).

Maxum's site shows a "cockpit canvas cover" as an option for the 2500 and 2700 SE's. Hard to imagin the same option did not exist for the 2600 SE.

But if you still come up short you could also resort to hauling the boat to a local canvas shop where they could take all the measurements and custom make a cover.

Here's a link to a 2006 2600 SE test - wherein it mentions the cockpit cover as optional: http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?id=1012

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Dan, interesting about that review. I wonder if they were actually referring to the canvas & vinyl enclosure being an option?

The picture I posted is from a current "for sale" listing. I've emailed the seller about it, but in his ad he wrote "cockpit cover (custom)". So custom might be my only option.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Captain

yo iceman,

as a know thats custom made because it's here not in the option list, so go to your local shop en ask them if they can make such a cover....when i had my 2855 bayliner i let them make the same as showed on your picture.....and let them put a connection on the cover so that i could lift the cover in the middle a little bit up to the radararch (with an elastic rope) so that there would be no rainwater laying on the cover (ill hope you understand what i mean)

succes, ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onderkant boten hellingen 070.jpg (91.2 KB, 83 views)
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Yes, Ed, I know exactly what you mean. This is the problem I'm having with the tarp - water pooling in the middle. A sewn-on ring to hold up the middle is a great idea.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Yes, Ed, I know exactly what you mean. This is the problem I'm having with the tarp - water pooling in the middle. A sewn-on ring to hold up the middle is a great idea.
yep, and works great........and is much easyer then putting something (a stick) under the cover to keep it up....(i have a foto of it but dont know how to get it here)

succes, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Lt. JG

iceman

I also have a 2006 2600SE and I have the cover on my boat that you are looking for. I bought my boat 1 yr old with 40 hours so I can't say for sure but I think it was a factory cover called cockpit cover.

If you go to the maxum webiste under parts and 2600SE look under canvas and you can get the original part # that cooresponds to your color and which seat option you have in the back. (bench or dual aft seats)

I would also say that if you look at your boat and it has snaps all artound from in dront of the windshield along the gunnal to the back in the aft it has loops than your boat would come with one as a factory option.

Problem is as i have been finding out that the 2006 2600SE was a one of. meaning that hull was a little different.

I am looking for a camper enclosure option and using factory part # it is over $4,500 and leta's doesn't have the pattern for that boat.

I am actually about to post a question about plxigalss options.

I could certainly send you a picture of my cover but my boat is 2 hrs away.

Good luck

Drew
cassymai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Drew,

I looked more closely at the Maxum website, and I do now see a "cockpit canvas cover" option for $650. I guess I need to call Maxum again and ask about this. It sounds like you're saying Maxum will still sell you the camper enclosure?

By the way, have you sorted out the TV mount issue yet? I tried to take pictures of how mine is mounted, but they didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. I can send them to you if you'd like. What was posted earlier is true - there is a "handle" on the Sharp monitor that slips over a wide metal support on the swivel mount, and then there is a snap mechanism in the back of the monitor near the bottom to hold it in place.
Tom
Old 04-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Tom,

yes, the dealer thinks i can still order the original canvas camper enclosure option from Us marine but at a cost of close to $4,500. The option pirce with the boat new was only about $1,600.

With that in mind the actual cost of your cockpit cover maybe more than what the website shows as an option price.

TV, yes I saw the same boat for sale at a dealer so I went to look at the TV mount. I am missing the "handle bracket" that attaches to the TV and then loops over the mount and snaps in. I haven't found a part # for that yet.

Thaks for your help

Drew
Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Drew,
You're right, I found out I can order the canvas, but it would definitely cost more. Maxum has a shop do the work, and apparently they don't install the snaps, I'd have to install them when I receive it. So, I think I'm back to a custom canvas shop.

I saw in another post you're from the Jersey shore. I'm originally from NJ. My cousins live in the Tom's River area. Do you take your boat out in the Barneget Bay or offshore?
Tom
Old 04-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Ice, I have the cockpit cover on my 2006 2600SE. It came from the factory with it. Mine is similar to the one in the picture, except mine covers all of the glass, too. I can see if I can get a part number off the tag on it.
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Lt. JG

Tom,

I boat south of Barnegat.

I keep my boat in Avalon and monstly hang around the ICW or a little in the Ocean just up and down the coast from Cape May to Great Egg Inlet.

Nevr been boating up near your cousin's but I have a few friends who do.

I am hoping to take the Boat fro a trip from New Jersey across Delaware Bay to the C&D Canal to the top of the Chesapeake.

I would be a green horn with the Delaware Bay and if you were once from this area you might have heard some stories about the Deaware Bay. everyone wants to tell you a horror story.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Drew,
I haven't heard much about the Delaware Bay. Funny though, I've been hearing some horror stories about boating out here near the Golden Gate bridge. I live on the coast, with a launch about a mile away. I can get to SF Bay by going north and then through the Golden Gate bridge. To play it safe, so far I've trailered the boat across the peninsula and lauched in the Bay. But I'm trying to figure out how much this Maxum 2600 can handle (or maybe moreso, how much passengers can handle) in terms of the kind of wind and chop we'd get near the GG Bridge.
Tom