Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Question Center support stringer rot forward of engines 1998 3000scr

New to me 1998 Maxum 3000scr, lost my Carver to Sandy, I have a question about the center support stringer, this stringer is forward of the engine next to the sea water intake filter for the a/c. During the survey this had a high moisture reading and delamination. The survey guy said this was minor and the other stringers on the boat were fine. My question is could one replace this with a stainless bracket like the one used between the engine and still have structural integrity?

wcphillippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Lieutenant

I just bought a 98 SCR 3000 as well & I hope all is fine with mine. I will be checking. I will tell you a little story though. I also own a 77 Mastercraft ski boat & 13 years ago i redid the floor in the boat & got looking at the motor mounts. They are secured to the stringers with leg bolts. They seemed loose & upon further inspection the wood was not much more than wet saw dust. I reglassed the stringers to make sure that no more moisture could get in , then put a pce of mild steel flat bar down the sides of the stringers & bolted the motor mounts thru the stringers & flat bar. This is not the way to fix a boat but you know that was 13 years ago & this ski boat gets used quite a bit & knock on wood no problems. After this experience i have learned that things have to be really bad before i get too upset. I still do my best to maintain so no future problems come up. Hopefully someone else can chime in but I think your suggestion on repair is probably just fine.
timer is offline   Reply With Quote