Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Battery and electrics

Hi - I have a 2006 2400SC. It is berthed in Spain and finding it difficult to get some advice. I apologise as I realise these are pretty BASIC questions but your help would be VERY appreciated.
It's started because I have two batteries, and Battery 1 is almost flat (not enough to turn engine over) and Battery 2 is fine. I can start the engine when selector is on Batt 2 or Both but not Batt 1 only. Ok - so I thought that when hooked up to shore power the batteries automatically charged up?? Now not sure if this is the case. I always turn the round selector to position 0 or off when leaving the boat and it is connected to shore power.
I have noticed a red switch under the port stern seat cover and DO NOT know what this is for. As it's very close to the batteries wondered if it is an isolator switch? and/or whether this needs to be up or down to facilitate charge? I don't know whether up is 'on' or 'off'!!
Also, under the middle main floor storage there is a smallish aluminium box (approx 150mm x 110mm x 40mm) and I don't know what this is for either! It has a push 'on/off' switch that lights up blue when on. It only seems to be able to be switched on when the batteries are connected? It has a socket that has a plug in it with cable fixed around the boat, and a USB point that has nothing in it. If the battery selector is on 1 it bleeps, if on 2 or both it is fine an doesn't bleep - I don't know WHEN THIS SHOULD BE SWITCHED ON OR OFF AND WHAT IT DOES so your help on this would be appreciated. Sorry these are basic questions.
My email if allowed on here is nicholasstanton5@aol.com

Nick Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard!

When on shore power you need to turn on the main breaker on the panel in the cabin then there should be a breaker to turn on the battery charger. The battery selector switch is typically in the off position when using the charger. Regarding the box you mention it sounds like a previous owner installed it so that would be difficult for us to tell you what it is for. When turned off does anything stop working?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
Ensign

First of all thanks for taking the time to reply to me.
I have never seen a panel in the cabin that has breakers on it!! Is there a place (in the cabin) you can suggest to look for that? There is a radio fitted that seems to work intermittently, so possibly this is affected by when that box is on or off. There's also a small TV in the Cabin and that too may be affected by that box.
Nick Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
Admiral

I’m not familiar with your model so I looked under Documents of this site and we don’t have your year but there is a 2009 manual which doesn’t list shore power in it so I’m not sure it was a factory option on your model and may have been dealer or owner installed. Posting some pictures of what you have may help us identify how it’s set up.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, electronics