Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Back again with a boat thats finally fixed and a warning.

Hello all,
Its been awhile since Ive been on, but I finally got the 98' 2300 sc fixed and into the slip here in Dana point Ca. I wanted to make you all aware of a problem that happened to me the other day. I picked up the boat about 6 months ago with a damaged out drive. I bought it for 4500.00 and replaced the out drive for another 3500.00 and was excited to go have some fun. This is my first power boat as Ive always been a sail boat guy. Total cost for the boat with an engine that has less then 15 hours and a hull of less then 500 hours came to 10k in the end.
Well we took the boat out after the out drive was fixed and only ended up stalling it and not getting it restarted. This was fixed after the Dana Point Shipyard found many problems with the guy I had do the out drive. Anyways they fixed it and I had many other maintenance things done at the same time. They washed the boat and gave it back to me, I trailered it over to the dock and found it unable to start even though the engine was turning over. After a few tries I had a grinding noise and stopped all attempts to start as it sounded as though the started gear gave out. I brought it home, called the mechanic at the shipyard and went off his advice to try to start it out front. Hooked up water and jump in the boat only to have no turning of the engine and a load grinding noise (the starter gear). Well come to find out the engine hatch on this boat leaked water when they washed the boat straight down onto the top of the engine and went through a crack in the flame protector into the carb. This caused an eventual hydrolock, but no damage to the engine. I have a new flame protector coming (black plastic piece onto of the carb). They cleaned out all the water, replace all the fluids and oil filter, out on a new starter and she runs great now as long as I don't let water get to the engine through the hatch until I can get the new flame protector on and figure out a better way to protect the engine from this happening again. I guess what I am trying to say is if you have this boat check to make sure this doesn't happen to you and check to make sure no water is running down to the top of the engine.
The boat is a blast and we have it in a slip and enjoying it fully. I will be checking the forums regularly and keep you updated on any other crazy issues that may come up. Have a great week all.

Scott

1997 2300SC
hazmatyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
Admiral

Scott...
welcome back to the zoo!!..
sorry to hear you had all these problems with the engine,drive and starting ..that sucks...but at least you worked thru it and now you can have some great adventures.....take some pic's and post em here!!..we'd love to see how you do and don't forget to have a good time...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmatyates View Post
until I can get the new flame protector on and figure out a better way to protect the engine from this happening again. I guess what I am trying to say is if you have this boat check to make sure this doesn't happen to you and check to make sure no water is running down to the top of the engine.

Scott
Hey Scott,

First off, I was born and raised in Dana Point and Laguna Niguel, lived in Niguel shores homes for 40 years. I mention this because I went through a couple of mechanics for more serious engine or sterndrive issues untill I found the best one. Mo Beck Stern Drive in Costa Mesa. He is known as a god in the Newport area with the boaties. He is the best, end of story. I had a Fourwinns 215 Sundowner with a 350Mag engine flame arrestor that did the same thing. Mo ended up telling me to go to Marie Callenders and get above all things a new pie tin. Drilled a 1/4" hole in the center then installed it (with a stainless fender washer) upside down like a hat over the FA on top of the carb and problem solved.

Enjoy that boat. You ought to take her over to Catalina and get a mooring can. I have very fond memories of summers spent there.

Take care.

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Thanks for the info Bella Sera. I plan on doing that as soon as I can. We are loving the boat so far. Just hanging out on the dock and meeting new people is very cool. We have some great friends down there now. A Catalina trip is in store very soon. I am going to check out Mo and let him know the deal over the last couple of months. We are good now but its always good to have a guy who knows the boat and takes care of people. Dana Point Shipyard has been great so far but they are a little expensive at 115 an hour labor. Thanks for the welcome SeaPuppy, we are definitely having fun with her now. I will take some pics this week and pot them. By the way what a great website. Kudos to all who put it together and all of you who are here. Thanks again and see ya soon!

Scott

1997 2300SC
Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Here she is sitting pretty in her slip. Went on a sunset cruise tonight. What a view!

1997 2300SC
Old 03-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #6

Hey Scott,

She is a beaut'! Nice ride. Looks like you are over by the Casa Maria restaurant (or at least where they used to be)? Although my favorite was Delaney's scampi!

Enjoy that boat with your honey.

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:38 AM   #7
Ensign

Let me add some thoughts to the thread on water going down the flame protector. I have a 1997 SR that I bought new in So. Cali. Now that is is moored here on Lake Coeur d'Alene, I had the same issue with rain water getting in. Seems the engine flip cover seam is dead square over the center of the carburetor. Even with a dock cover and mooring cover, I was getting water seeping into the carb!!! So to resolve this, I have a piece of aluminum bent into an 'L' bracket that was weatherproof glued and bolted onto the fiberglass on the rigid back base, but low enough so the engine cover would sit down snug without hitting it. Now when water drips down, it hits the channel and rolls off to either end side and into the bilge.

No more water dripping onto the engine and especially getting into it. My mechanic thought this was trick and we put it on a few other boats with a similar design flaw. Give it a shot and you will find no more water going into the engine or collecting in the intake manifold channels and rusting the paint.
CdA Maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:36 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Good idea CdA. I am going to work on something like that this weekend. For now Ive got the engine covered in case of rain, but its in the slip with the cover on so it should be good. Im just over protective with all my toys. Thanks

1997 2300SC