Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Anchor Suggestions

I am looking to replace my fluke anchor with a Delta. I am contemplating whether to buy the 14lb which Lewmar says works for boats up to 30' or whether I should go with the 22lb, which should be plenty. I am a 2600SE, which is a 27'. We mainly boat in a reservoir, mud/silt bottom. The fluke holds great and sets easily, it just doesn't work well with my windlass. It very rarely deploys without me climbing up front and giving it a little push and very rarely retracts without me going up front and orienting it to correctly stow. I am also wondering if the 22lb will fit without changing the hardware on the front of the boat. I plan to look around for a friend at the dock to see if I can test fit one, but wanted to ask the gallery for and past experiences.

Thanks

capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Admiral

It sounds like the anchor is not the problem but what it sits on and maybe your tackle.

I don't have a remote or cockpit controls...... so my wife and I handle the anchoring duties. So I am use to be up on the pulpit taking care of business with the anchor.

How do you clean your anchor when pulling up? I know myself after on the hook.......the Illinois river mud doesn't what to let go, so I go through the dunk mode a couple times to clean our #14 Hooker anchor before I bring it all the way up on our 2001 3000 SCR lewmar windless.

On my shakle( where chain meets anchor) I need to buy one with a swivel so that the anchor will right itself when coming up in the stow position. Maybe that will help you?

I have had several friends get rid of their delta and go back to a dansforth or similar because of the delta letting go, especially when the wind starts to do a 180 on you and your boat turns on you.

Yes I know the delta is a much prettier looking anchor but IMHO.... if you just figure out your tackle problem, I think the fluke style well work for you, plus your save some money. Delta's aren't cheap!!

Well this is my 2cents worth.....hope it helps and good luck.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I have a 2900SCR and I boat in a relatively calm lake with a muddy bottom. I used to have a fortress fluke type anchor and when a breeze used to pick up, I'd be all over the place. Beginning of this season I changed it out with a 22lb Lewmar Delta Fast-Set anchor and it was the best thing for me. I have 100ft of rode and 25ft of stainless chain and I stay put these days. I'm very happy with the new anchor.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
Lieutenant

I am going to find someone at the slip who has the 22lb Lewmar Delta and see if I can borrow it to make sure it fits properly. If it does, I think I will buy one and see what I think. I really look forward to it deploying and retracting all by itself!! I have 150' of rope and 30' of chain, so it should hook pretty well.
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #5

Definitely test the 22. I just put on a 22lb Rocna and I needed to replace the bow roller. Though, keep in mind the shapes are a bit different, and you will probably have better luck fitting a plow style anchor on the stock roller. I would definitely try and check first. You might be able to check to see if you can buy it and test fit it with teh ability to return it if it doesn't fit. I was oferred that when I was trying to size my bow roller. I run 30 ft. of 5/16 SS chain and 200 ft. 1/2 in. braided line. With a 22lb plow, you're going to sleep well at night. The admiral deploys and retrieves by herself and she has no problems.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

I did forget to mention (thanks Shrew) that I also need to replace the bow roller but that will be a project for the off season.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

I had a delta 14# on my 2800scr,,, worked great... the chain length is key! now I have a 22#on my 3500sy... deltas are the best anchors.... no drifting or dragging with them.....good luck!
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #8

Thumbs up Great Minds think alike, fools often differ.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo View Post
I had a delta 14# on my 2800scr,,, worked great... the chain length is key! now I have a 22#on my 3500sy... deltas are the best anchors.... no drifting or dragging with them.....good luck!
I second that rodrigo, on the Bella Sera, I run the lewmar delta 22# and it has never let me down hooking up in the wide bottom varieties of the Mississippi river including soft sand and thick mud muck. Ditto on the chain length too as being key to getting a flat pull on the hook as it digs to set fast. Since the Miss's maximum depth around here is under 50', I run an all 5/16" high test galv. chain rode and it sticks like Shizzle to a blanket. Plus the design fits in the bow pulpit of the 3300SCR like a glove with out any drama (remember to include a chain swivel where the bitter end of the chain attatches to the anchor to eliminate chain twist).

A good feeling when you got the safety of your family and six figures in boat on the line.

Bella Sera 3300SCR Out.
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Captain

Bella, do you happen to have any pics of your setup??? thanks........
Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #10

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaMax View Post
Bella, do you happen to have any pics of your setup??? thanks........
Hey Jesse,

I will get you a picture or two tonight after we go Jet skiing.

Bella Sera 3300SCR Out.

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote