Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 98 scr 3000 anchor size?

HI gang
My just purchased boat came witha 7 lb aluminum Fortress anchor with lots of chain. These things are expensive but the steel ones i have used in the past dont work very well. My last boat i had a Bruce which i kept for this boat. It is big enough (weight ) 10 kg but wont fit. The Bruce appears to be cast steel. The problem is the pulpit is really thick & the Bruce does not have enough cross section therefor wont fit. IF i can weld on theses anchors(anyone know?)I could cut the anchor & add about 3" to its overall height. It should fit then. Or do the Fortress anchors work just fine?
Thanks
Timer:

timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
Admiral

Depending on what type of bottom you are anchoring in is the other part of the question too.

Your fortress which is a dansforth type anchor will work in everything except rocks and grass.

So what type of bottom are you going to anchor in?

And yes the more chain you have the bettter the hook you will get.

I have a #13 dansforth anchor which works great in sand and mud for our 3000 scr.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Our boating in the Great lakes is typically mud/weed bottom. When the weather breaks i might have to see the exact mods req'd to the bruce.
Thanks
Timer
Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #4

Timer, it really depends on how and where you anchor.

Tidal? River? Lake?

Do you anchor with a single bow anchor or do you use a bow and a stern anchor?

What is the bottom type that you usually anchor in; Sandy, mud, Rock, weed, slime?

A Danforth/Fluke style anchor is great in sand. It probably has the strongest holding power in a straight line. It was desinged to be tossed off of the back of military beach landing vehicles to be used to kedge them off the beach once they've offloaded their cargo. However, it tends to work poorly when you have opposing tide or wind and spin on a single bow anchor. If you spin and the tide or wind opposing the direct a fluke anchor is set, then have a higher tendency to break free and don't always reset well.

There are old posts of my experience with the exact Brand of anchor you are discussing. I use mine as a second anchor off the stern or as an emergency secondary. I will not use it as a primary any longer.

If you're looking for a rock solid primary anchor look at Rocna and Mason Supreme. I had a Rocna that got recalled and replaced it with a Manson supreme. Both are comparable in regards to performance. I have never dragged on either the Rocna or Manson Supreme.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Thanks Shrew
Old 03-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Delta anchors are the most reliable, I've had them for the past 10 years and they always do the job!
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo View Post
Delta anchors are the most reliable, I've had them for the past 10 years and they always do the job!
If i were to go in order of dependability (Juat another mans humble opinion):

1) Manson Supreme or Rocna
2) CQR (Plough with a hinged shank)
2) Delta (Plough style)
3) Bruce (Claw)

I won't run a fluke (Danforth) unless it is a second anchor. I've had the best, most consistatn holding with the Manson Supreme or Rocna. I've had both and they perform equally well.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Lieutenant

I have found & installed a hinged shank 25 lb CQR. it fits in the bow sprit perfectly. The anchor was used & was priced right. Had to have it. Can anyone recomment length of chain . It currently has 20+ ft of chain. Its a bit heavy. would 10ft do the trick? I usually anchor for swimming in about 10 ft of water in relatively calm conditions.
thanks
Timer
Old 07-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #9

Chain is the most import and yet the most overlooked aspect of your ground tackle. The reason people use too little or none are all ridiculous, though typically it it is cost. The rule of thumb is 1 ft. of chain for evey ft. of boat. I run 30 feet of SS chain on my 28 foot boat. However, we use a single anchor and sleep overnight at anchor every weeked and we take 2 different week long vacations and we're on anchor for the entire week we're vacation. The heavier and stronger the chain the better the entire ground tackle system will work, however you need to keep it managable. If the chain is too large for the roller, it will be difficult to retrieve. If the change it too heavy it will be difficult to retrieve without a windlass. That is why I went with a longer length of SS for weight and strength without having to increase size too much.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Admiral

Timer...Shrew beat me to the punch....yeah what he said!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Thank you both. I will leave the chain as is. You never know if i get in a bad situation, the chain will definitely help.
Timer