Old 06-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Lightbulb 3300 SCR Fresh Water Tank Leak - Repair or Replace Tank by Removing Aft Floor

Hi everyone, this is my first post, have been a fan of the forum for 3 years now and finally posting! I have spent much time learning about my 3300 SCR and will begin to post some good threads and reply too.

I found a leak at the water inlet collar housing. The housing is cracked and possibly not flush sealed. It seems from trial and error that it is mainly leaking when filling tank and when tanks water line is above the inlet (while docked). IT does not appear the other collars or vent neck is leaking. I would like to try and repair the main inlet then by sealing it over, but with what material?

As a back up plan, does anyone know the original water tank manufacturer as this tank appears custom with many angles to fit in the hull's keel portion?
The "post-it" on the tank says : "MV-28 Sub-Assy Tub 55948".

It appears that if replacing that the first floor board in the aft berth needs to be pulled up. It seems that the sump pump board between the tank and aft floorboard is glazed in but the aft floorboard may be stabled in or screwed in.
Does anyone know?

I can not see anything forward of the water tank (mid galley floor). Is there any more access locations to the bilge areas forward of the water tank?

Thanks,

(No Gen, no A/C)
Skip R Maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:24 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Default Update for Fresh Water Tank

Update today after spending more time on it.

I was able to get the forward floor panel up from the aft berth floor. Due to the carpet it was just requiring a bit more strength. Seems that it the easiest thing to do is slide it back towards the aft wall.

The sump pump wood panel had 2 screws and a slight amount of adhesive which was easy to get out.

I think I am going to try and get it out and have it thermo welded per recommendation. With the inlet hose, sump pump out hose, vent line, and water pump line all still there, seems that this may be tight and tricky.

If there are any other ideas that anyone has for a repair, they would be appreciated.

(No Gen, no A/C)
Old 06-03-2015, 02:34 AM   #3
Captain

Jb weld will cure most anything. I had an old Toyota truck with an exhaust manifold that was probably more jb weld than iron. Ran that way for years!
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Lieutenant

I ended up using G Flex from West Marine. It was about 4x as expensive as JB Weld but it specifically listed working with PE and PP. I really layered this around all fittings and PE welds for them. Tested it by filling the tank and no leaks there now for a few days.

I am still waiting on the Sump Pump to arrive from the online store to wrap up entire job. The sump pump was inop and full of water. The inlet neck was completely solidified around the white water hose from shower drain and had no choice but to break it. Hindsight is to disconnect the shower drain fitting from hose first. as that was easily separated. Seems that dirt simply settled into sump pump inlet and hose spacing.
(No Gen, no A/C)
Old 06-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Default Tank Leak

Hello:
I am a plumber by trade and own the 28 scr
Don't hesitate to make a repair on that tank. The area you repair will end up stronger then the rest of the tank.
Mothers Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:28 AM   #6
Lieutenant

I've uploaded pictures to an album here showing some repair steps
Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum - Skip R Maxum's Album: Repairing Fresh Water Tank Leak and Sump Pump

(No Gen, no A/C)

Tags
aft berth, bilge, floor, mv-28, water tank