Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-19-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Commander

Default 2800scr Windlass

I have nothing but trouble with mine. It goes out fine, trouble arises coming in. I've compressed the rope in the locker a dozen times, but still the rope pinches on itself going in. I've had to feed it by hand too many times.
Then it gets to the chain, thats even worse. It will bind on itself almost immediately. If I don't catch it quick, it puts a lot of force/torque on the windlass. I end up feeding this by hand also up to the last few inches and then use the motor to tighten the chain and secure the anchor.
So----seeing how I've only had this boat for 3 months now, could it have come with the wrong diameter rope and chain, or is there something I'm not seeing? This seems to simple to be so screwed up.

oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

I have to stand out on the pulpit when I'm winching MINE in, too (gotta make sure there's tension on the rope or it gets wadded-up going down into the locker). If there's no "natural" tension from the anchor/rode, then I'll put my foot out on the pupit as the rope comes in to CREATE the tension! Then when the 30' of chain arrives it has to be watched carefully also so it doesn't bind/lock-up coming in. Kind of makes the windlass control switch on the dash useless as I always have to use the foot "pedals" out on the pulpit. I have 200' of 1/4", double-braided rope professionally spliced into a 30' 3/8" galvanized chain (what Lewmar recommended for the small windlass on Endless Summer) and still have these issues). Guess it beats pulling it up manually, because once I learned how to anchor properly I can't IMAGINE having to yank up that much rode (75' + on some occasions) every time I deploy the anchor!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Commander

Cool windlass

what brand of windlass lewmar is the one I use and it works fine but be sure the chain and rope(rode) are the right sounds like it is wrong .Check the capstan size for chain&rode size and type of rope used I have been told the really limp rope can hang on the capstan .good luck
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Commander

Jeff
Your rope is only 1/4"?
I'm sure mine is very close to 1/2"
Not headed to the lake this weekend, but I'll take some pictures next weekend.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Mine is 1/2" rode and 20' of chain and the last 3 times I've brought it up, I've run into the same problem with it jamming and blowing the fuse in the engine compartment that also knocks out all DC. After the last time it happened, I put in a circuit breaker instead of the fuse. I checked with the mechanic and he thinks everything is as it should be. Like Jeff says though, if you want to bring it up slowly and keep tension on the line, the switch is in the wrong location. Wonder if we could find some king of wireless activator for it?
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Commander

Default rode

I think the rode should be 5/8 and the chain is made for windlass is a special size chain made for it is that what you have
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

OldNo7; you're correct... 1/2" rope (not 1/4")... my mistake (typo)!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
Mine is 1/2" rode and 20' of chain and the last 3 times I've brought it up, I've run into the same problem with it jamming and blowing the fuse in the engine compartment that also knocks out all DC. After the last time it happened, I put in a circuit breaker instead of the fuse. I checked with the mechanic and he thinks everything is as it should be. Like Jeff says though, if you want to bring it up slowly and keep tension on the line, the switch is in the wrong location. Wonder if we could find some king of wireless activator for it?
Where is this fuse in the engine compartment, if this happens?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

It was right next to the Battery switch so that's where the circuit breaker went although in hindsight, I could have put it somewhere more convenient.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
Admiral

wow guys....I had my 2700scr and with the windlass ..it never bound up nor locked the chain up.....

I've pulled mine up at the helm and the bow....I have 5/8" rode and standard anchor chain....which I believe is also 5/8"...you may have to small diameter rode....check the manual for the windlass..it should specify what size rode to have...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

I'd like to replace it anyway so I could be the guinee pig here. Anyone know where I can get the 5/8 rode that has te chain pre-spliced? We're in a fairly shallow lake so 100' + 15' stainless chain should be plenty.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
Admiral

contact either west marine or fisherssupply.com...I know for a fact that FS has it..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote