Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2700 SCR believed to be taking in small amounts of water through the drainplug area

Hi,

I have a 1993 2700 SCR. Over the last year I am getting about 2 inches of water in the bilge on a regular basis. I wet vac the water out and after a cruise I come back and there is a couple of inches of water in the bilge.

I recently took the boat out of the water and when I removed the drain plug I could see that the brass insert that the plug screws into had some play in it.
So I removed the screws holding the insert in and removed the insert. After cleaning the area up and sanding away the bottom paint, etc I see that there are chips of fiberglass chipped off around where the insert was sitting, in fact I could see the fiberglass in some small areas. At this point I am thinking I have been leaking water in through this area. My intent is to repair the surrounding area using the West System and then put the insert back in drilling new holes for the screws.

It looks like there may be some type of rubber washer that the insert may push into ? The Maxum Parts manual is not detailed in this area. It only shows a flange, which I am assuming is the brass insert I have referred to and the drain plug itself.

Might anyone have any more detailed drawings of all the pieces/parts associated to the drainplug assembly ?
Any other thoughts/comments welcome.

Thank You !

irietime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome to the website irietime.......... I will offer some of my free advise.........I don't have a picture but we are talking about removing a drain plug and what the plug screws into that screws into the hull......... You have gone this far with hopefully taking care of your water problem, but I would buy a new brass drain plug kit. Repair the surrounding hole with a good epoxy and filler and follow the instructions for the drain plug....The new plug should have all the instructions you need........

I hope this helps you and good luck!

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Welcome to the site and good luck in finding the cure for your water woes.
I have had this problem only worse on my last boat and not only replaced the drain plug and plug flange using a good quality marine sealing putty as a gasket material but also checked all transom mounting screws for any sign of lateral movement. It does not take much as I found out. Two of my swim platform bracket screws had elongated the screw holes some and that was enough to cause my bilge to have enough water in it to set off the auto bilge switch to pump it out. Anything that screws into the transom below the waterline could be a direct water path to the bilge.
Good luck !
ccruser1
ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Captain

Water is a two way steet......

I put the plug in, get the hose and fill then bilde up with 6" of water and see if the plug leaks in reverse........ this only works on land.....

If so, buy an over size or a tap out plug, or just a smear of silcone.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
Admiral

actually ..the easiest way to seal up the the butt plug is to use piping tape.......that is for the plug...but if it's the transom mount for the plug..your going to want to pull that whole assembly apart...seal the wood with epoxy...and let dry..then be liberal with silicone 4200....

also check the bellows at the shift linkage entrance...water can come in thru there and can do damage to the bellows and the gimbal bearing....if you get that growling at idle...then the bearing is going...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote