Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2022, 01:14 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 2005 2400 SCR questions

Hi all,
New to boating and new to the forum. Got a few questions....
1. Parts-having a problem sourcing parts for my boat...any suggested locations for things such as bathroom tap parts etc
2. I want to buy a swim platform for it. Any suggestions where I can get one? I want to be able to tube my kids around and so on.
3. The boat came without the snap in carpeting. Wondering if there is a place where I can just order a set?
4. I want to get an automatic anchor system. Right now its manual. IS there an aftermarket place I can get one?

Having a boat has been a dream since I was a little kid. Im 49 and can finally afford to get one. I know its old, hard to get parts, but I love a challenge and the price was really hard to resist!

5LMerc bravo3

Mutantratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:32 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

We went with swimplatforms.com and we’re very happy with the result. A few tips …

- See if they can provide that same style rubrail as the boat. It really looks sharp when it matches.
- add the grill mount if there’s any chance you might use it. The platform core is plywood the the bottom has ribs so it’s an involved project to position it and install it correctly later (oversized holes drilled and filled with epoxy to seal the plywood)

We bought carpets from Matworks … https://matworks.com. I was really happy with their service and would recommend them. They offer standard soft carpets as well as the duraweave “seagrass” style. We went with the seagrass style. It doesn’t get “soggy” and we loved the look but it does get much hotter in the sun under foot than standard carpet … even the lighter colors so I would stay away from anything dark in that style.

They didn’t have a template for our 2900 so they sent instructions on how to make a template. Easy but time consuming (a full afternoon). I would get a helper next time. You will also need a snap installer as most companies recommend you install snaps yourself on the boat for the best fit (I think every boat manufacturer puts them in by hand so it’s not standardized. Matworks offered to pre-install if I marked them on the template; but I opted to do it myself at their recommendation. I think it was the right decision. I was able to adjust the stretch and tension and fine tune the placement as I installed them.).

A few notes on installing snaps for canvas or carpet. Only use snaps with a brass shank … stainless shanks are much harder to crimp properly and tend to crush. There are vice-grip style installers which I used and they work well once you get the feel of it. Even if the company sends you snaps … get a few different shank lengths from sailrite.com to find the best fit to the thickness of the carpet. And don’t bother with the cheap hammer & anvil style snap installer. Lastly, use an awl to make the hole instead of a punch because it won’t cut the fibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:43 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you!

Anywhere to look to get parts for a boat that old? Generally-like OEM stuff?

Mark
Mutantratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:08 PM   #4
Admiral

Most parts on a boat are third party made, the boat manufacturer only makes the hull and top side. Without knowing what part you are looking for it’s hard to answer, however with the age of the boat some things just won’t be available.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:23 PM   #5

Everything listed by the OP are third-party.

Windlass: Lewmar, Maxwell, Lofrans, Muir

Carpets: Local marine canvas and upholstery

Plumbing: Whale, Scandvik, Ambassador

Swimplatform: swimplatforms.com

Most parts can be found at most ship chandleries. Try West Marine, Defender, Great Lakes Skipper.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:58 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Welcome to boat and Maxum ownership! That a very nice first boat! I also would not consider a 2005 as necessarily old by boat standards.

Depending upon where you are located you may find a West Marine or similar near you. I have actually found a few things at Camping World who does have a marine section. Through help on this site and others I have found item and part numbers to search on Amazon and Ebay as well. I have ordered as much in those 2 places as anywhere else.

Enjoy the world of boating!
Derby Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:53 PM   #7
Admiral

2-swimplatforms.com
4- no clue what you are looking for...

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote