Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default 2004 Maxum 2400 SE - Maxum of the Seas

Purchase Date: September 25, 2015 in Dana Point, CA

I have had a 1900 SR since 2003 but have always wanted a trailered cruiser from Maxum. The wife and I finally found a 2400 SE and bought it this past weekend. We live in Southern California and found it about an hour away. It needs a lot of detail work but is in pretty good shape. It has a replacement 5.7 with 275 hours and a Bravo Three with dual SS props. It also has the swim platform, bimini and an AIS/GPS/Fishfinder. I am not sure of the accessory level but it has dual batteries, macerator and water heater.

It spent most of its life going back and forth to Catalina but was pulled from the water by crane every trip and sat on the trailer at Dana Point covered after rinsing. Other than the anodes you could never tell this was a ocean boat. The fireman I bought it from kept it fire station clean! It came with the trailer, a small inflatable dinghy, all its parts and 3/4 tank of gas.

It does need new trailer tires, cockpit carpet, shower drain, a few broken interior pieces and the cushions cleaned. I have a lot of small things to upgrade and replace but overall it is a great boat. We plan to use it in Lake Mohave in Arizona during the off-season and Catalina overnighters.

We are very happy to find this little jem and hope to get some help and advice here as we start to fix and upgrade the boat. If anyone has similar cruisers and has advice please post it. I am always curious about inverters, radar, maintenance, cleaning tips, navigation and even meeting other members from the area.

Below are the pictures so far with the trail run before purchase and getting home starting to clean it.

Daleo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:36 AM   #2
Admiral

While the engine compartment looks very clean it's interesting to see so much rust on the valve covers. I would check the oil pan for rust and if found sand it and paint it.

Pans are know to rust out in boats.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
While the engine compartment looks very clean it's interesting to see so much rust on the valve covers. I would check the oil pan for rust and if found sand it and paint it.

Pans are know to rust out in boats.
I will check the oil pan today. The long block was replaced in August of 2011 according to the ship yard where it was stored. They printed all of the service records on it for me before I bought it.

He mentioned the rust on the valve covers, and the cause, but my head was up my tush when he said it. I should have asked him again. I will get some more pictures of underneath to make sure there is not more.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
Admiral

In most cases a new or rebuilt long block is the cast iron; block and heads plus their internals while the externals are reused from the original engine.

Mike
Old 09-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Admiral

You are going to love the extended swim deck. It's the one modification i wish I had done to mine.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Quote:
In most cases a new or rebuilt long block is the cast iron; block and heads plus their internals while the externals are reused from the original engine.
My crate engines usually include the valve covers. I see that the Mercury ones do too. The shipyard did the swap so I have no idea what was changed back then. If the rust is limited to the valve covers I will just remove them this winter and powdercoat them.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...es-longblocks/

Tim
Old 09-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleo56 View Post
My crate engines usually include the valve covers. I see that the Mercury ones do too. The shipyard did the swap so I have no idea what was changed back then. If the rust is limited to the valve covers I will just remove them this winter and powdercoat them.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...es-longblocks/

Tim
Yep a create engine comes with the tin work. Lots of folks say or are told new when it's a rebuild. Seldom do shipyards install new.

Mike
Old 09-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

The wife and I got the boat inside the shop and will start to do the detail work it needs. I just finished with the cut and buff with the 1900SR so I have all of my stuff still out. It will take me a full weekend for a boat this size but my mechanic wants $600 to do it and that is not going to happen. I use the light 3M 06085 rubbing compound and then follow up with 3M machine polish. I use Spray and Wipe for maintaining it. I also searched the site and see that Magic Eraser followed by 303 is the choice here so I will work on the cockpit too.

I have a bunch of replacement parts on the way so this thing should be close to original by the end of the month!

Old 09-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #9
Admiral

Sounds like you have it all planned out, I'm sure the results will be well worth the effort.

Mike
Old 09-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
Admiral

DO NOT use Magic Eraser on your vinyl. It will destroy the stitching.

Try some of this first :

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Cleaner-Con...nyl+protectant
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
DO NOT use Magic Eraser on your vinyl. It will destroy the stitching.

Try some of this first :

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Cleaner-Con...nyl+protectant
Will it remove clean as it protects? I really want to get the marks out.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Right - magic eraser will eat your stitching and it will separate.

I have always used 303 products and find that they really do work (especially when cleaning your vinyl on the boat) - All-in-One Multi-Surface Vehicle Cleaner from 303®
jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Ok, I will save the Magic Eraser for the trailer fenders and use the 3M cleaner for the seats!
Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
Admiral

For stubborn stains try starbrite extreme clean then go over with a vinyl conditioner.

Mike
Old 10-16-2015, 05:15 AM   #15
Lt. Commander

We are going to go on our first cruise to San Pedro and Long Beach Harbor on Saturday. Love me some Costco 91.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

How did you make out with the stains on the seats and enjoy your first trip out.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:13 AM   #17
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
How did you make out with the stains on the seats and enjoy your first trip out.
I bought some $10 West Marine vinyl cleaner this morning and used a scrub brush. It turned out OK but not as clean as I had hoped. I will go over it again when we get back with the 303.

I also installed the snaps on my new Corinthian carpet. The number is 6443 (3PC), the cost for this one in Standard Berber with Sunbrella binding was $432.40 delivered. My upholstery guy wanted close to the same amount and it would not have had the Aquamat backing. I am VERY happy with it and it looks just like the original!

Old 10-17-2015, 02:15 AM   #18
Admiral

Enjoy, I'll probably be putting mine way for the winter nap next weekend. Low 50's this weekend.

Mike
Old 10-18-2015, 12:18 AM   #19
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Enjoy, I'll probably be putting mine way for the winter nap next weekend. Low 50's this weekend.
That stinks about the season being over up there. It was 85° and sunny here and we have another month before El Nino hits us!

Great first run. It took about 2 minutes of cranking over a 10 minute period before it would start but once it was running it smoothed out. Also, started first time when I was cleaning it so whatever caused it must have passed. Also, battery number two will not crank the engine. The PO said the battery was old so it looks like it is time for me to upgrade batteries. I am thinking AGM batteries like Exide, Odyssey, VMAX or maybe even Optima. I want to add a second Group 31 deep cycle battery to the one side and leave the Group 27 single on the other side for cranking. I saw this cool tray that will allow me to add the second battery with the existing mounting location.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Old 10-18-2015, 12:21 AM   #20
Lt. Commander

A few pictures from the 3 hour tour around San Pedro and Long Beach. We could not have asked for a more perfect day!