Old 04-15-2021, 08:18 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 2000 Maxum SCR2400 Hot Water Heater

I have a hairline crack on a 90 degree fitting the goes to my hot water tank, i believe it is a push on style fitting. Because of this crack i have minor drops of water coming from it.

any feedback or advice on replacing this? i assume i have to fully drain my hot water tank first?

please see picture, and help would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Inkedheater1_LI.jpg  

Geoffhk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
Captain

The potable water side of the HW heater doesn’t need to be drained, just the engine coolant side will need to be lowered to below the fitting on the engine.

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
The potable water side of the HW heater doesn’t need to be drained, just the engine coolant side will need to be lowered to below the fitting on the engine.
I don't see any engine coolant lines going to that water heater. That looks like an electric only, or the engine lines aren't hooked up.

The elbow is a compression style fitting. Is the crack on the water IN connection or the water OUT connection?

You would most likely get very little water if faucets are all closed. You would always open the hot side of the faucets and drain the tank to below the level of the fitting before disconnecting it.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #4
Lt. JG

you are correct Shrew, it is electric heat. I'll drain hot water tank below the access point and attempt a repair.
Geoffhk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:56 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Those are all plastic threaded fittings. Very easy fix if you get a replacement elbow. PEX fittings are easy to find.
Huuligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:42 AM   #6
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffhk33 View Post
you are correct Shrew, it is electric heat. I'll drain hot water tank below the access point and attempt a repair.
Nice catch Shrew. I read the post and didn’t look that closely to the picture. Disregard my comment. Potable side will need to be drained, with the breaker off of course.

Since you’re working on it, check your anode while you’re there. It’s one of the most overlooked items on the HW heater.

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote