Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2022, 10:32 PM   #1
Ensign

Lightbulb 1st boat- 2400SC3 or SE?

Short version:
First time buyer based near/in the Chesapeake bay thinking of buying a 2400SE or SC3, leaning towards the SC3. Just making sure I understand the differences as I’ve done a bunch of research, seeing if others agree this is a good first boat for my intended usage. I’m a hands on person, having rebuilt engines and transmissions in cars myself as a hobby. Looks like the SE is more of a stay on board type (with the shower/toilet part), microwave/cooktop and less deadrise angle, vs the SC3 seems more like the “sport” version (and lacks the bow rail), lighter etc.

Really Long detailed version:
I’m in my late 30s/early 40s, single guy, no kids but many friends to go out with, been thinking about a boat for a few years now. I’ve done a bunch of research here, around the web, FB groups etc so hopefully most of my info is correct. I’ve narrowed down my choices to a cuddy cabin, more specifically a 2004+ 2400SE or SC3:

My demographic info:
Budget, $20-$25k

As mentioned- Maryland area, northern Chesapeake Bay/Susquehanna River area- so many coves, rivers etc to explore.

I’ve done plenty of kayaking, Jet Skiing, riding on other people’s boats, renting boats, but planning to get my own, perhaps as this season draws to a close, or in another year or two depending on what I find (in other words, no huge rush, planning ahead)

I’m not really into fishing, it will be primarily cruising on nice days, possible overnights- possible waterskiing etc but more than likely day trips, hit the dock bars type usage. I should note I’m a fairly short guy so I can fit comfortably in smaller places than most others.

I like speed (I have sports cars and sport motorcycles) but I’m certainly not into boat racing and would prefer a more versatile boat compared to one built just for speed, the performance of these seem adequate not to mention the fuel consumption.

I’ve thought about the boat club option, or continuing to rent but I’m the type of guy who likes it to be mine so I can customize it and just learn more in general about owning a boat. As mentioned On cars I got to the point I do most mechanic work down to rebuilding engines and transmissions on my own.

My reasons of choosing these models and leaning SC3:
23-25 ft seems to be good compromise between stability and maneuverability (e.g. watersports), plus ability to spend the night if need be. I'm a fairly short guy so I fit in places taller folks don't lol.

Trailerability- might keep it at marina but like that it’s fairly easy to take to another location if need be, or my house for repairs/winter

Looking for one that will be <20 years old by the time I buy (I realize this is highly dependent on upkeep of previous owner(s))

04 seems to be when the SC3 came out

There appears to be a decent amount of them for sale around the mid-Atlantic.

Am I on the right track? Any other thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks, Eric

Eric W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:57 AM   #2
Admiral

Eric you may want to also consider an SCR which gives a full head and good size cabin if you will have ladies aboard. The beam is 8’6” so it’s trailerable and has a dry weight of 5000lbs.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

So I had an 1800SC3 and now have a 2400SCR. My 1800 was a bow rider, no cabin or anything. I agree with Mike above for consideration. I trailer my boat, but it goes in the water in April and she stays there till mid November or so. So, have the trailer if need be, but for the most part it just stays parked. Based on a couple of comments you mentioned above is why I am leaning towards the SCR. Having a full cabin is killer. Especially since you mentioned sleeping out on it. That little cuddy on the sc3 is going to get old...quick. We treat ours like a floating beach house. We spend just as much time just hanging at the marina and spending the night as we do actually going out. So if that is something that appeals, I would lean that direction. It is NOT a speed demon by any means. I would definitely make sure you get the 5.7 option vs the 5.0. I have the 5.0. Had to do some modifications to get her to run like I really want, but would definitely recommend the bigger power plant. I get about 32mph on calm day out of mine. But generally cruise in the mid 20's. Absolutely LOVE my boat. If you are looking to crash on it a lot on the docks, highly suggest looking into one with AC.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:20 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I echo Vipers comments … our boat is also our lake house, but that’s not how we thought it would be when we started. Our first boat was a actually 2900SCR with twins. At the time I thought a dock was just a place to keep the boat and that boating was about tubing, driving and floating. We had only opted to something bigger because was had little kids and wanted to have place for naps, bathroom, etc while out. So that boat was way bigger than what we thought we needed but was a great super clean boat. We figured maybe once and a while we would spend the night on it but that it would be rare.

Boy did we have it wrong! We were exceptionally lucky to find great people at our marina and have made lifelong friends with our “marina family”. Getting off the dock is now only part of the experience … we look forward to nights on the dock as much as the days in the sun. We stayed that first night many years ago and have stayed Friday-Sunday every weekend since. It’s a rare opportunity to hang out with friends and drinks all day/night then be able to walk back to your bed at the end of the night.

There are good reasons to keep it small … but never any regrets on bigger. (Incidentally we went even bigger when kid #2 showed up). Good luck with your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:40 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Yep, "dock family" is the best!!!!! Mine are some of my best friends now
Old 09-16-2022, 08:51 PM   #6
Admiral

I have a 2500 SE and love it. 6'4" tall and can stand up in the galley... The head is a bit tight for me but I live with it.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #7

The difference between SCR and SE is largely a function of year. The 2800SCR became the 2900SE in later years, for example.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:39 PM   #8
Ensign

Really good stuff folks! I'll definitely keep your comments in mind - and my next question was the SCR vs the SE- I'll keep my options open for everything. Very good point on the 5.7 vs the 5.0! There's so many options that even narrowing the make/models was tough. Next there's so many marinas around too but that's another discussion altogether haha.
Eric W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:26 PM   #9
Ensign

Default 2007 2400se

Our boat has only 245 hours on it

Rxshute is offline   Reply With Quote