Old 10-03-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
Ensign

Default winterizing

So i'm new to this boat, it's a 2003 1900sr with a 4.3 mpi. My question is what has to be done to drain the water from the block? it has a weird knob on the front of the motor witch is labeled water drain, after opening that is there anything else that has to be drained?(as far as water is concerned)

jody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard jody... I'm sure someone will pop up with the correct answer but I learned by investing in a service manual. Get the Mercury service manual for your 4.3 and alpha 1 outdrive and you will have so much info at your hands you won't know what to do with all of it...LOL

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
Ensign

biggerseagar, Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to find a SERVICE manual but only come up with owner manuals. As a retired master auto mechanic, getting info is very easy for cars and trucks on line, but for boats it's like every thing is under lock and key. Any advise on where you found yours? As im going through the boat and doing most of the repairs myself i would love one.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
Admiral

I went on google to see what I could find and not much! All sorts of clymers which I have one and it's not bad but a mercury service manual is better. I did check e-bay and they had a variety of used ones. Go to your dealer and see if they can help.....I guess I spoke too soon...
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
Ensign

lol. no problem. I't all ways an adventure. lol
Old 10-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
Captain

The 4.3 service manual is located in the documents section, #25. I am not familiar with the knob you mention, but my guess is that it will drain the block. You will still need to drain the manifolds and the water pump. The location of the drain ports will be in the service manual.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
Admiral

Mercruiser came out with a few different draining systems; one was a single point drain that when opened drained the entire cooling system and another had an hand air pump that when connected and pumped would blow out the system. The potential problem with these if used in salt water scale from the iron parts can block passages and not allow a complete drainage. Do you plan to run antifreeze through the system and if you do be sure that the engine is completely warmed up so that the thermostat is open otherwise antifreeze will not circulate through the engine.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
Ensign

Thanks guys. Kinda figured i would still need to drain the exhaust. as far as antifreeze i'm thinking that i do not need to worry about going to that extreme sence i live in SC and the boat is in my garage, not heated but last year if the overnight temp did drop below freezing it was only for an hour or two. lol. Now one last question then i'll stop bugging every one, after draining everything do you have to prime these systems or just put it in the water and run it?
Old 10-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Admiral

No priming required in the spring.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote