Old 06-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Water for Porta Potty ?

Just got this 2003 Maxum 2400 SR and Im new to boating so pardon mt ignorance. I just installed a new Porta Potty with the the pump out connections. How do I get water to the toilet. Is the a shut off valve somewhere on the incoming water line?

sdrdermdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #2

Welcome aboard "sdrdermdr"

Could you elaborate on what was there before and what you've replaced it with? A manual pump electric flush head would have a through hull with a pick up and a seacock (shutoff valve). The seacock would be connected directly to the through hull somewhere on the hull, typically near the keel and at least midship to astern somewhere. This would have a hose running into the head.

The water inlet should have a hose right there in the head somewhere. If the previous porta-pottie you removed did not have such a connection, then you will need to install one.

I would not hook the freshwater directly to the head as a workaround. These systems should be separate.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Admiral

welcome aboard

I agree with shrew thread title says porta potty but you seem to be describing a marine toilet. A marine toilet would use raw water that is supplied by a thru hull most likely located in the engine compartment.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
Admiral

My Vacuflush head gets it water from the fresh water tank.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:40 AM   #5
Lieutenant

My 2100sd has a pump out ports Potti. The water to flush is store in the toilet upper half.
After use, a few pumps puts water in the bowl then pull the handle and it "flushes" to the bottom half of the toilet.....

When the bottom is full, it pumps out through a deck fitting like a real toilet ��

In the back corners on the top, one corner has a cap on the water fill, the other has the pump.
Not sure if yours is the same.

Best o luck
Sled600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Ensign

Thank you all for the replies. Sorry for the vagueness in my post. So when I bought the boat there was no head in the bathroom. I installed a new Thetford 260 portapotty with the pump out assembly. (Porta Potti 260B | Thetford) The boat is equipped with a holding tank and pump out system. In the bathroom right where the toilet goes there are 2 lines. One like a 2" and the other maybe 1/2". I assumed the bigger one is for dirty water out and the smaller is clean water in. Now I have figured out the this is not hooked up to the fresh water system because when I turn the pump on for that I do not get any water to the toilet. When I manually pump the bellows pump on the left side of the toilet nothing happens. So now Im assuming this water line is isolated from the fresh water system and there is a shut off valve that is preventing the toilet from drawing water in when it is manually pumped. I'm going down to the boat tonight so I will look for that valve and let you know how I make out.

Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

I think you should have purchased a Thetford MSD (marine sanitation device). The 1/2" hose on your boat is for water from the through hull and of course the other goes to your waste holding tank. Your "porta-potty" is a manual fill - there is no provision for other filling. Your waste fitting on the unit will have to be plumbed to the pump out fitting on the deck of your boat. You will also need to install a 1/2" air breather hose to your upper topsides or deck so your unit will breath when pumped out.
jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
Ensign

Jim thanks for the info.

The Potty I have came with the Pump out kit. Will it still not work?
Old 06-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
Admiral

Looking at the 260B with the link you provided it seems there is an option for pump out but not fill and that you must manually fill its tank by removing the cap (3) in the diagram. Did you by the optional pump out kit?

I would run some water into the 2" hose and verify its hooked up to the waste tank before connecting to it.

Mike
Old 06-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
Ensign

So mine came with part 4a. This is supposed to be the pump out accessory kit. Is this still not the correct way?
Old 06-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #11
Admiral

That should be fine for pump out. Once again no water supply option.

Mike
Old 06-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

The pump out kit requires the connection of a 2" waste hose connected to your waste pumpout deck fitting. It also requires the install and connection of a 1/2" air vent breather tube to a vent way above the water line. If you don't have the air vent, your tank will collapse inward when you get a pumpout. You can use either part 4A or 4B.

They are great units for sure. I had the old MSD model that held 6 gallons of fresh water. It also had electric push button flush. On my old Grampian 26 I could get as many as 63 flushes before I needed a pumpout. Now on my Maxum 2755 SCR I can only get about 40 flushes before I need a pumpout. That's because you use a huge amount of flushing water on the Maxum compared to the little amount required with the Thetford unit.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #13

that boat used to have a manual pump head. The small inlet is connected to a seacock and a through hull. The larger line should be connected to the holding tank.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
My Vacuflush head gets it water from the fresh water tank.
You are correct, however vaccu-flush systems keep them separate. In a manual pump, the same pump is used for intake and outlet. They are separate sides of the same pump assembly. A failure of the rubber check valve can/will cause cross contamination.

In vacu-flush the systems are completely isolated from one another.

My suggestion was referencing not connecting the inlet side of a manual pump head to the freshwater system.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Shrew is right as to the original manual pump head that used to be in your boat.
With your new Thetford, you do not have the water supplied from a through hull (manual fill only), nor should you connect your waste fitting to the holding tank (connect to your waste deck fitting).
Old 06-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #16
Ensign

Added water to the upper holding tank and all appears to be working! The wife is very happy now!!

Thanks all!
Old 06-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #17
Lieutenant

Item 3 is your fresh water manual fill.

capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote