Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Boats
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Tube tow points....

Ok I just bought a two person tube to tug behind my 2100sd. The tube warnings say to always pull a tube from the boat lifting eyes-not the ski loop.

Is that overkill? I know that a tube can bring a huge amount of force when it lands, or submarines... But is it really more than a ski hook is designed for?

The ski hook would sure be more convenient, as the lift eyes are buried under the sim step on this model.

I am not really worried for the little kids, cruising at very slow speeds....but it might be different with large adults (like me!)...

Thanks for this advice for the newbie...

Rocky

Sled600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Commander

Tubes create a lot more drag than a water skier.

This article seems mostly missing now but here a lady got hit in the head and killed from a eye pulling out of the boat . Be careful!!

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/74657...mosher-sheriff

oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Commander

Here's the full story, had to answer a couple questions first:

A 21-year-old woman was killed at Ruedi Reservoir on Friday afternoon when a bolt struck her head during a boating incident, according to authorities.

An ambulance crew from the Basalt Fire Department and an Eagle County deputy sheriff were called to the boat ramp at the Little Maud/Mollie B campground complex around 3:20 p.m.

“We were paged for a woman with a spike in her head,” said Fire Department spokesman Matt Avidan. “There was a tubing accident, and the people on the boat started CPR immediately.”

Few details about the incident were available because investigators from the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office were at the scene and outside cellphone range, according to Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Jessie Mosher.

The victim was on a tube being pulled by a boat when the accident occurred, according to authorities. A bolt securing a tether connecting the tube to the boat came loose and struck the woman, authorities said.

Avidan said bystanders, including some medical personnel, also rendered aid. The first rescue personnel who responded continued to administer CPR, and they inquired about the availability of a Flight for Life rescue helicopter because of the nature and extent of the injury. The woman couldn’t be revived.

Mosher said that a coroner was called to the scene around 4:15 p.m. Mosher said the detective was sent to the scene, in addition to the deputy sheriff, although there was no indication that it was a suspicious incident. It’s standard procedure to have a detective look into a death, she said.

Authorities said the boat was on Ruedi Reservoir when the initial call for aid was made. Responders were told the boat was headed for the main public boat ramp and to meet the boat and victim there.

At least two other people, brothers of the victim, were on the boat at the time of the accident, according to Avidan.

Mosher said the Sheriff’s Office couldn’t release the woman’s name or where she lived because of federal laws prohibiting the release of information in medical incidents. That information must come from the Eagle County Coroner’s Office after it positively identifies the woman and notifies next of kin, Mosher said.
oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Quite the article. I think I will be getting a bridle for the lift eyes......:-)
Thanks for the input!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I've towed a two person tube off the ski eye many times. I don't know how well it'll work off the lifting/tie down eyes because they will be below water level and therefore will be pulling the tow line and bridle through the water, and it seems to me it will also tend to pull the front of the tube down (submarining).

Also make sure you're using the correct type of tow line. I am pretty sure tube tow lines are supposed to be non-stretch. If it's non-stretch it shouldn't go slinging backwards if something breaks.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Well, I bought the bridle, and like ss396 predicted, it was way below the waterline and pretty ugly looking back at tube.

I looked where the ski eye is has a big reinforcement.

I hooked it there for the rest of the day...and probably where I will use it forever....:-)

2ea 3/8 bolts in tension have a pretty good load carrying capacity in tension.... I hope it is enough. I do have a tube rope.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Wow, never heard of this before. I always pull the tube from the ski eye. The only boat tie downs or lift eyes, are a lifting ring on the motor, or the transom eyes, for on the trailer. I have a large four person tube and have pulle dit with four eager teens with no problems many times, including some submarining when they get goofy... I know that there is a large double hole washer inside the transom to spread load from the bolts.. Will look and review.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
Captain

I doubt you have anything to worry about if you've got a 3.0 or 4.3. Just start off gradually if you have a larger engine. There are some tubes that hold 5 people, that's the kind I'd worry about.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote