Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Boats
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Ensign

Default trailer problem for my 2001 2100sd

I just bought a 2001 2100sd and I love it. Took it out this weekend for the first time. Boat is fantastic. However, the trailer has a problem. When I am backing up the disc brakes engine if you stop your momentum. Then you have to pull forward and start over again. It's a real pain in the butt. I finally just disengaged the hydraulic line to keep from having to deal with it. But I want to get the problem taken care of. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

kmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Ensign

i meant disc brakes engage, not engine, sorry Any clues on how to fix this problem?

Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Sounds like your trailer brakes are the "surge" type. When you reverse, the truck pushes the surge coupler backwards which engages the brakes, when you pull forward they release. As designed. When you are going forward and then apply the brakes the weight of the trailer and boat pushes forward which also pushes the coupler backwards and engages the brakes.

Most trailers have a means of locking the trailer coupler when reversing - typically a steel pin that gets inserted. Some have an electric solenoid that is wired to the truck's reverse lights. When the reverse lights come on the solenoid engages and prevents brake fluid pressure from reaching the calipers. You'll have to look at yours and figure out which you have. If you can get brand/model number off the coupler you can probably look it up on the manufacturers site.

Note: now that you've disconnected the hydraulic line (and probably had most/all the fluid squirt out, you'll have to reconnect and fill/bleed the system.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks. Simple enough fix, sounds like. If I only towed the boat for maybe two miles after I disconnected it, do you think I'll have to bleed the brake lines again? Not sure how much hydraulic fluid has already spilled out. If so, is that something easily done? Like I said, I've never had a trailer with it's own brakes, so not sure what that involves.