Old 10-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default starter problems

I recently had the carb rebuilt on my 1999 1900SR because the boat sat up for sometime with older fuel in it. I drained the old fuel etc changed filters, carb work etc. I went to start it (it would run prior to the rebuild and stuff...just sputtered under load) and after several attempts of starter engagement and motor turning, I rechecked the re install. I found a wire unplugged which was accidentally pulled loose at the quick connect near the carb. Reattached it and made several more attempts to start. She acted like she wanted to fire a few times but never would. At some point, the starter quit turning the motor. The starter still whines and is attempting to turn it but doesn't seem to be engaging the flywheel. I know it has two solenoids (one on the starter and one near the carb). Is it possible one of these is faulty and causing the starter to not engage, even though it has power? Batteries are at 100% but still it won't turn the motor. Starter shot? or is there something else I can try?

dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Admiral

Most likely it's the solenoid on the starter that is bad, definitely not the slave solenoid.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Most likely it's the solenoid on the starter that is bad, definitely not the slave solenoid.
Would it even spin at all if that is the case? I don't think its hydrolocked or anything as it was turning over fine for a while before it started this. If anything I may have overheated the starter.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:35 AM   #4
Admiral

If hydro locked the starter would still engage but just stop.

To check if the engine is locked pull the spark plugs and see if any water comes out then try turning it by hand.

If damaged from overheating I would think it either would not turn or engage but not have power to turn over the engine and just stop.

Whether it is the starter soleniod or something else with the starter buying a complete new on will fix the problem.

Mike
Old 11-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

I ordered a new starter so hopefully that's the problem. I really don't think it is hydrolocked as it was turning over fine for several minutes and it was just on the hose (not in the water). I know its possible, but seems unlikely. I also checked the oil and its all fine.

Now, how in the heck do you get in there to change that thing. I am a big guy and I have yet to figure out how to get to it!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Admiral

What engine do you have? 3.0, 4.3, or V8 (5.0, 5.7)? With any of the V engines you may need to remove the exhaust from the starboard side to get better access. Depending on the boat layout you may need to remove some of the rear panels.

I am 6'3" so I understand how tight it can be working on boats.

Mike
Old 11-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Thanks. Its a 5.0.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:56 AM   #8
Captain

Pull the plugs and check. I hydrolocked the 350 in my other boat on the garden hose. It sat full of water for a month before I discovered it.

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote