Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Spring lines at dock for a Maxum 2000SR3?

The cleats on this boat are nowhere near the same locations as on my center console. When tying up at a non floating dock how do you tie your spring lines?

Do you tie both spring lines to the center cleat and run a bow and stern line or do you use the mid and aft cleats for the spring lines? My front cleat is in a position that if I tie a spring line to it then it rubs the edge of the boat at high tide and I can't tie very far back or the line contacts the windshield.

I'm on the Chesapeake Bay and I may have it moored for up to 10 hours while out and about so spring lines are a must.

My plan is to use 3/8 double braided nylon for the spring lines since elasticity is needed and 1/2 bow and stern lines. Does that sound about right for this boat on a windy day with 1-2 foot waves from the other boats coming by?

brian0128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Admiral

Easy way to remember all this is bow and stern line go out or away from the boat. Spring lines go in or towards the boat. You can be attached to the same cleat but the lines is going in opposite directions.

There are a ton of u-tubes to watch on this Brian. Makes some popcorn and enjoy!

Whatever keeps your boat secure and safe is all that counts.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
Lieutenant

When I tie to the dock near the stern cleat and run it forward to the front cleat it rubs the windshield. If I only go to the mid cleat it seams too short so I move the line on the dock further from the stern it makes it difficult to get on the swim platform.

I will just not use the forward cleat and run both spring lines to mid cleat.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
Admiral

If I am backing into a slip I run the spring ling forward this will prevent the boat from going to far back and hitting the dock or going beyond the length of the slip

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #5

I've wet slipped at fixed docks for many years. If you have 2 midship cleats, then that is the easiest way to rig spring lines. Run 2 forward sprigs and 2 aft springs to the midship cleats. The catanery is balanced that way and tends to center the boat better. If you just run a single set of spring lines (forward or Aft) the catanery tends to pull the boat in that direction and you end up using either your bows or sterns as springs in the opposite direction. (I'm not sure if tha makes sense).
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
Lieutenant

I only have 3 cleats per side. One close to the bow, one near the steering wheel and the last cleat is at the stern right before the swim platform. If I use the front for a spring line the line hits the windshield. The boat is 20' long. Would you use the mid and aft cleats?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 AM   #7
Admiral

use the mid cleats for both forward and aft spring lines

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote