Old 03-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Prop Replacement

I just went out for the first time on our, new to us, 1997 Maxum 2000 SRL. Loved it but I think I need to replace the propeller. I have a bad vibration at low speeds, 1000 rpm to 2000rpm. I'm thinking a bend blade. What propeller should I be looking at to replace the original? What pitch and diameter? We are looking for general performance.

Thanks,
Tommy

ttommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttommy View Post
I just went out for the first time on our, new to us, 1997 Maxum 2000 SRL. Loved it but I think I need to replace the propeller. I have a bad vibration at low speeds, 1000 rpm to 2000rpm. I'm thinking a bend blade. What propeller should I be looking at to replace the original? What pitch and diameter? We are looking for general performance.

Thanks,
Tommy
Was this vibration there when you test drove the boat before buying it? Hopefully it’s just the prop and not a bent prop shaft. You can have this one rebuilt if you like. Does it achieve proper WOT?

Try Quicksilvers prop calculator to see what it recommends.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
Captain

Do you get the same vibration with the drive in neutral?
Why do you think that you have a bent blade, is there obvious damage? Mike mentions a bent shaft; try spinning the blade by hand and see if it spins true. If you detect a wobble then it's the prop shaft.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
Ensign

I checked the prop by fixing a jack stand close to the prop and rotated it to see if it was true. Guess what, it's not true at all so I guess I'll have it rebuilt and use it as a spare and buy a new one to use. Thanks for your input. And no it doesn't vibrate in neutral. I know it wasn't very smart, but I bought this boat without test driving it. We did start the engine and ran it for awhile and didn't notice anything amiss. Had to travel 1300 miles to get it. It was a great deal and in great shape.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Captain

It's great to hear that you have found your problem. I recommend that you test your new prop after installation to see if you have a bent prop shaft.
I bought my boat without a water test also. I picked mine up at a farm in rural Virginia. It looked and ran great on land. I gladly took the risk and so far have replaced the manifold gaskets and carburetor. Now just waiting for a warm day.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
Ensign

I found this one in San Diego, we live in North Idaho, 2600 miles round trip. We trailered it home during a snow storm and freezing weather. I thought about draining the fresh water cooling system but was in a hurry and didn't. Temperatures were in the mid 20's to low 30's all the way home. I worried about cracking the block from the freezing. Put it in the heated garage and prayed for the best. As soon as I could, I took it out, hooked it up to a water source and started it up. Thank God it ran perfectly with no oil leaks, water leaks and no water in the oil. It finally got warm enough Saturday to go out on a lake that wasn't frozen over. It performed great except for the prop. Can't wait to get the new prop and go out again. On the way home from San Diego a man said to me that it was a little cold to be boating. I told him we were going ice fishing.