Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Boats
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2015, 01:23 AM   #21
Lt. Commander

Lightbulb Bad Luck for a Newbie

If the linkage was in neutral when you were starting the engine you would not have the engine to drive unit connection. Only if the unit was locked up internally. Hope you find a replacement drive unit plus install & rig the controls for it. The set-up on my 1992 Maxum 1800SR with the 3.0L Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II will not let you start the engine if your are engaged with the drive unit. Wish you all the best!
deanries (Go Big or Go Home)

deanries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:21 AM   #22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanries View Post
If the linkage was in neutral when you were starting the engine you would not have the engine to drive unit connection. Only if the unit was locked up internally. Hope you find a replacement drive unit plus install & rig the controls for it. The set-up on my 1992 Maxum 1800SR with the 3.0L Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II will not let you start the engine if your are engaged with the drive unit. Wish you all the best!
deanries (Go Big or Go Home)

Old post.

Your first sentence does not make sense, with an Alpha only the prop shaft does not turn in neutral with the engine running. Upper and lower gears are driven all the time.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:41 AM   #23
Lt. Commander

Question Engine Engagement Correction

Mike & others,

What I meant to say was that the engine with drive in neutral is disengaged from the prop. The owner in question was having the steering wheel move, left I think when he tried to start the engine. To me this means the engine was engaged to the prop, the drive unit turns from the force which is why the steering wheel moved. With the drive linkage in neutral the cable to the drive unit should also be in the neutral position (prop dis-engaged) Seems that wasn't the case in this issue. The amount of metal filings in the gear lube oil states that the drive unit is trash - way too much! Hope the replacement drive unit treats the owner well as long as it is maintained.
Dean (deanries, Go Big or Go Home)
Old 09-16-2015, 02:26 AM   #24
Admiral

Dean now I understand what you are saying however I believe the OPs drive was locked up internally which will cause the steering to torque over as he described. If it was locked in drive as you stated the engine would still start and the boat would immediately start moving.

With the drive having a broken gear and locked internally the engine will not be able to turn over as stated by the OP.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:42 AM   #25
Lt. Commander

Question Broken Drive Unit

All -
The way the drive linkage (control cables,etc) are set up so you can not start the engine if the link is not in neutral/dis-engaged. In my case the 3.0L has this linkage right on top of the engine plus there is the neutral select switch that prevents this from happening. From that mixer is where the cable goes to the drive unit to select neutral/forward/reverse mode. Anything broken within the drive unit would override this control. Bottom line we all know they need a replacement drive unit.
Dean (deanries, Go Big or Go Home)