Old 12-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New (to me) 2006 Maxum 1800 MX Owner

Hi All

Been to the intro thread and now over here with some questions

Just bought a 2006 1800 MX and have a little tidying up to do as it's had little use and was pretty dirty
I was washing down the deck and found the water doesn't drain easily and pool's up near the jump seats and not allowing dirt to be flushed away
Is this normal ?
Has anyone cut drain holes in the corners under the jump seats to allow the water to drain freely into the bilge ?

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
Admiral

Bert is the boat in the water or on a trailer? If on a trailer try raising the bow higher to see if that helps.

I am assuming the deck is glass and not carpet since you are washing it down. I would use a dry vac and suck it up since I would not want the dirt in my bilge either where it can foul th bilge pump.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
Ensign

Boat is on a trailer
I have lifted the front with little difference

Just put the carpets in today after a good clean yesterday, I still like to hose everything down to get the salt water off and get rid of sand and dirt (dropped chips etc) from the days outing
I always remove the bung and flush the bilge with fresh water to check the bilge pump and wash out dirt

It seems to drain through a gap in the side pockets and then down/around past the jump seats, I'll check that there's no obstruction when it's dried out and I recover from a great day out on the new toy
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Admiral

Enjoy your summer, maybe someone with your model will chime in on how they wash her down.

Mike
Old 12-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #5

I was not aware those models had self-draining cockpits. If you see drains and they are just draining slowly, then more than likely they are clogged. If you don't see them, there aren't any there. I can't imagine hosing down a carpeted cockpit, even with exterior carpeting.

Welcome aboard!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I was not aware those models had self-draining cockpits. If you see drains and they are just draining slowly, then more than likely they are clogged. If you don't see them, there aren't any there. I can't imagine hosing down a carpeted cockpit, even with exterior carpeting.

Welcome aboard!!
I think Bert has snap in carpet, however I have not seen self draining cockpit on a sport boat. On my 2400 SCR the lip around the engine hatch has drains that go overboard.

Mike
Old 01-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #7
Lt. JG

I have the same boat, and there arent any drain holes really. Most of mine drains into the bilge through the gap between the floor and rear seats/ engine hatch area. Sometimes I also open the ski hatch and rinse it down into there. What helps also is after I take it to the car wash I trailer it up a hill by my house to let gravity help. But yes it does pool up a lot back there. We ski and tube a lot and never get any real water on the floor back there. Just when washing it down it collects more so....
gotachvy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
Ensign

Hi there -

Only my second reply ever -

I have a 1800MX 2006, living in South Wales, UK.

We have a fiberglass deck, and snap in carpets, after every outing we hose and wash the floor area down, and tip the boat upwards on the trailer to let gravity help.

I know exactly what you are talking about, some of the water goes through under the fiberglass engine cover, but the majority sticks under the seats as the gap is not big enough for the water / dirt to flow underneath. (engine in midddle with fiber glass / plastic cover, and two single seats either side. (3.0L mercruiser EST engine)

Eventually if you leave it up in the air for 10 mins it will drain, then just use a cloth or a wet and dry hoover to suck up the dirt. As someone else mentioned - probably not a good idea for the dirt to be washed behind anyway, especially as it will probably just rest under the fuel tank or the batter / power steering pack.

I am having issues with my boat at the moment - no spark! I will post into another forum -

All the best,

Dave

David Jones is offline   Reply With Quote