Old 09-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New boat no clue on what it is or where to find out

I got my first boat, I know it's a maxum. And I can find the hin so I know that much, it needs a lot of work and I'm planning on doing it all my self over a bit of time. Is it ok to share the hin and see if u guys could help me? By the way I'm Glenn. I'm new to the site.

Wilds315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Welcome Glenn! Post pictures of what you got. I'm fairly new to Maxum but there is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

deltaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:09 AM   #3
Admiral

Glenn welcome aboard

The last two digits will be the year. If you search on posts by shrew you should find a link to a HIN look up table or maybe he'll post it here for you.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:10 AM   #4
Ensign

Ok so far from what I've figured out is that it's a 1990, and has a 120 l drive motor. Which is confusing To me when I opened the engine bay to find an upright 4 banger with two carbs. It's 20.5 feet so it's a 2100 class but I don't know how to tell what letters come after the 2100. Yea like I said I'm new to this whole owning a boat so I'm sure I'm using the completely wrong lingo! The way it looks to me is it is two stroke? I know I have months of work before I get to even attempt to start it, but I could turn it a bit with what looks like a flywheel to me sideways on top by hand so I'm thinking it's not locked up.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:17 AM   #5
Ensign

By the way using my IPhone 6p I tried to up load pictures but it closed the Safari app every time. When I get a chance I will upload to laptop and then to board. I want to photo everything and maybe even some videos of this project, maybe a log to go with it. It's quite the chore I'm gonna be doing. Every part that had vinyl or padding has to be redone. The sleeper hold will also need gutted. The neat thing is I am gonna have pretty much a blank hull to redo it how ever I decide to do. I understand that it all has to fall with the weight limits and will have to endure the weather and sun too. I'm really excited about it but I know I don't want to rush anything about it.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
Admiral

Ok what you have is called the "L" drive, basically a outboard power head and lower unit with an I/O style midsection. These were only around for a few years and parts are getting rare to find.

I believe the power head was made by Force which has been out of business for years. I would first focus on seeing if it runs and or if you can get the parts to make it run as there are no cheap non-custom repower options.

Normally I would recommend to stay clear of this boat but since its already yours I guess you'll find out if you got screwed or not.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
Ensign

Oh maybe that's why I got it for free! Yea I was gonna see if motor is worth putting time into the rest, still have to clean out years of sticks and other junk that was put into the boat. The previous owners used it as a catch all when the ppl came to mow their lawn....
Old 09-04-2015, 04:53 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

Wow.... No offense, but this just sounds like a nightmare to me! Even for free!
0Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
Ensign

I'm very patient when it comes to projects so it's fine with me, plus if motor don't work or is missing easy parts I'm just going to part out motor to anyone that needed the part and the rest I'll find a purpose for too... Hull is solid so maybe I'll use it for something else, who knows lol