Old 01-01-2020, 10:11 PM   #81
Admiral

Yup water got into the upper half, how do the gears look? The upper and lower are connected through the lube passage on the outside wall of the drive and since water will settle and lube float on top there is probably water in the lower unit.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #82
njh
Lieutenant

Hi mmwjr.

So of course you are correct...oil in lower leg but all gears seem intact. I am embarking on a strip down and will replace as required. The casings seem really good and I suspect prem gasket failure and water ingress the reason for bearing failure. Stripped out the water impeller today and ordered the correct tools for bearing carrier replacement. The involved parts are currently soaking in penetration fluid ready for removal.
We are going to concentrate now on getting parts for the engine and installing ready for starting...

Old 01-05-2020, 09:50 PM   #83
Admiral

Nick you can call me Mike.

Sounds like you have a good plan of attack. Looking forward to pictures of you on the water. Best of luck.

Mike
Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #84
njh
Lieutenant

Hi all.

Some more pictures added to the link. Spent the weekend with more fibreglass and a heat gun all snug and cosy under the rain cover finishing the engine mounts. I shall paint them tomorrow and then order final parts so i can trial fit the engine next week...Suddenly a corner is turned after a long project.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H2VLhDb9Y4QyRyFF6
Old 02-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #85
njh
Lieutenant

Hi all...just an update that progress is slow, but forwards. Haven't dropped the engine in as Friends jet ski and other projects took over but they are almost out of the way so just tidying up wiring and waiting for parts to turn up...Starter motor, new water pump and various odds and ends. Checking that sender unit in tanks works (forgot)and rewiring some speaker cables but no new pictures yet.

Holiday home survived two big storms and big tides at the Coast but locally in Ironbridge (first Cast Iron Bridge in the world) the flooding is the biggest on records.
More pictures when I get them...
Old 03-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #86
njh
Lieutenant

Just a quick update to you all.

Finally got the floor painted enough to be happy it's sealed so I can disassemble the temporary roof I made from haulage tarps while I removed and replaced the floor, much to the absolute delight of my Wife (you could see it from our kitchen).

The Oil feed parts I ordered are arriving for the leg and transom shield so I will be fitting the block soon.

All the interior cushions that we started are finished but sadly one or two of the original seat bases that were good have failed (the stitching) but we now feel ready to tackle them too so all should be well. Air horns have been ordered and fitted so now all electrical items work from their respective switches.

Poppers and new fabric for bow cover and cock pit cover is on it's way so i'll post pictures as soon as we have made them...

There are some new pictures and a tiny bit of video footage as I remove the boat from under the cover with 1 -2mms of clearance as I decided i'd break the windscreen if I didn't.

Hope that all is well with you all and hope to hear from some of you soon.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:08 AM   #87
Admiral

Coming along nicely. Looking forward to her first trip to see how you like her.

Mike
Old 03-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #88
njh
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Coming along nicely. Looking forward to her first trip to see how you like her.
Hi Mike.

We really can't wait, just hope she is as smooth and dry a ride as i hope. I have no experience of these hulls so I hope you all like thew ride in you're respective boats.
I think trim tabs will be required but lets see...Just got back from delivering the seat bases to local wood yard who are recreating them all ready to go under the new upholstery.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #89
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by njh View Post
Hi Mike.

We really can't wait, just hope she is as smooth and dry a ride as i hope. I have no experience of these hulls so I hope you all like thew ride in you're respective boats.
I think trim tabs will be required but lets see...Just got back from delivering the seat bases to local wood yard who are recreating them all ready to go under the new upholstery.
I have no complaints with how my 2400SCR rides.

Mike
Old 03-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #90
njh
Lieutenant

Hi all...well what a world today we live in.
We are fortunate that my work is right next door and in the countryside and we are supplying local government, NHS and home delivery companies with vans and fridge vans, all helping in the support for getting through this frustrating time.

Apart from that much polishing and general cleaning is going on ready of engine install next week maybe...seat bases are cut and varnished and we did the first seat tonight (27/03/20)
The link is below, take care all...

Old 08-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #91
njh
Lieutenant

Hi Everyone...hope you are all well.
More pictures have been added and will be just now. Keeping ticking along with a trailer re-furb and more work on the engine. Then found a i metre split that the bunks hid...successfully filled and gel coated. trim pump arrived and re-furebed too. Heads on, Oil primed, just trying to tie up loose ends like plugs, Rocker cover bolts, Manifold bolts and riser gaskets etc then some custom built stainless pipe to get to the cowhorn to make it look nice. Today we started making the template for the day covers...Link below.

Stay safe everyone.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #92
njh
Lieutenant

Hoping this finds you and yours all safe and well.

So it's been an odd old time. Our friend Jamie has given us free use of his Jetski for the last season which has helped massively along with our friend Jeremy and Angela who also have a Maxum 1800 but a newer version whom have invited us out on their lovely boat.
We have made the top and Bow covers, fitted pretty much all the engine parts and taken delivery today of the new high pressure fuel line which was split at the fuel module...which required a thorough clean and replacement high pressure pump. A new steering wheel has been added as well as stripping, cleaning and testing all the Faria Guages ready. Oil pressure, Temp and Trim were seized. i hope this week to flush through the injection rail and have a test fire by the weekend which is really exciting.
After that its the drive/legs turn for a rebuild.

The links below, hope you might like the new pictures.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #93
Admiral

You’re doing a beautiful job with the restoration. Glad you had time to enjoy life with some friends, especially this year. Fall is upon us an soon it will time for me to winterize my boat and put her away for a long winter nap. Looks like you’ll be ready to splash yours soon, enjoy.

Mike
Old 10-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #94
njh
Lieutenant

Hi all...hope all are well.

So any thoughts on ecu replacment...

Mine was purchased with the engine and is irritatingly faulty...it doesn't provide earth to the MPR on wake up from the key.
The sticker that tells me it's engine designation is blank so all i have is that its a motorola from 2005 and its part number is 865296. Are these ecu's engine specific or will they run say a 5.0 and a 5.7?
Have any of you run stand alone ECU's?

Nick.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:46 AM   #95
Admiral

The ECUs are programmed per engine size. I’m still running a TBV carburetor system in my 97’ so my knowledge is limited when it comes to the Motorola 555 unit.

Mike
Old 10-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #96
njh
Lieutenant

So a quick update...found a 5.0 mpi ECU just down the road In Birmingham of all places. Paid for it and it is now on it's way.
There is a Megasquirt ECU and kit that will run the gm motors but saw the motorola one and it was cheaper than the standalone unit so went with that.

Hope all are well.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #97
njh
Lieutenant

Quick update...advertised ECU has arrived and appears to be for a jetski. From what i can see these are engine specific. Sold as the right one, turned out to be useless.
Not a good weekend.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:03 PM   #98
Admiral

Quote:
Quick update...advertised ECU has arrived and appears to be for a jetski. From what i can see these are engine specific. Sold as the right one, turned out to be useless.
Not a good weekend.
That’s always the risk when buying a used part from sites like eBay. Good luck with the search.

Mike
Old 11-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #99
njh
Lieutenant

Hi Mike.
Just so annoying that someone else just lied...whilst i wait for him to get in touch and the ensueing ebay wrangle i will look at Carbs, Points and distributors....
Old 11-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #100
Admiral

Quote:
Hi Mike.
Just so annoying that someone else just lied...whilst i wait for him to get in touch and the ensueing ebay wrangle i will look at Carbs, Points and distributors....
Understand, unfortunately there is more like him out there.

Mike

« Siphon Fuel | - »