09-08-2021, 06:12 PM
Join Date: Sep 2021
Maxum 1996 1700 MF 200HP
I've bought my first boat a Maxum 1996 1700 MF 200HP!
Few things about the boat:
- Price here in Mexico was 4000usd fully registered. The boat market is much smaller here.
- I did a lake test on it and noticed only small issues such as loose throttle cable and taco not working. It got on the plane nicely. Handles like a big jet ski!
- It's been re-powered with a 200hp 2 stroke merc. MERCURY 2.4L 200 ELPTO 1986 - runs fine but compression is low at 80psi cyl. Will need to change rings, lap cylinder and see. Updates to follow. Fingers crossed! Quite a bit for a 17ft boat I think but good fun!
- Hydraulic steering upgrade.
- One small area near the swim ladder where the deck is slightly soft. Will stabilise with epoxy. Otherwise, there is no corrosion or rot.
- Only ran on lake, freshwater. Stored dry inside all its life.
- Stereo not working.
- Hoses etc look fresh and regularly changed. Maintenance looks good.
- Boat was sitting for a year unused.
- Full cleanout. Already did the basics, mildew remover, pressure washing etc.
- Full service and inspection on the outboard. Will change lower unit oil, seals, water pump. All the grease. I will need to improve the compression, this is my biggest worry at the moment. Carb clean, gaskets, decarbon, honing, cylinder rings, will of course check the specs and bearings, I'm crossing my fingers that it'll be in spec because $$$
- Boat service, steering fluid, throttle cable, fix tachometer. Check speed readout vs GPS. Fix soft spot.
- Install kicker motor. The boat will be used in a bay, I want a modern 8hp fuel injected 4 stroke as a backup. The main engine is old and I won't want to rely on it for my safety. Also for trolling.
- Safety gear for sea, radio, flares, fixed compass charts etc, flares, PFDs, anchor, paddle, life ring, fire extinguisher, sound signal, additional bilge pump, first aid kit, water+rations.
- Chart plotter.
- Modern sound system. Will replace old speakers and radio.
- Fishing gear, fishfinder and rod holder.
- Trim tabs.
- New Bimini
- Can't think of much else now!
I'm very mechanically minded so will do all the work or as much as I reasonably can.
More photos to follow! I look forwards to your feedback.